General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

MAC midlengths?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^never had the thing dynoed, been meaning to but i got distracted by a new streetbike The numbers i've got up were before adding the UD pulley and relocating the LCA's and IAT sensor(not really a mod but sitting in staging heatsoaking my intake it might help a bit) and playing with my timing tuner...it prolly wouldn't run that much better, but i'd hope to get a better 60' and a higher trap and see where that lands my ET at.

How close is your setup to mine aside from the tranny thing?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

dont even waste your money on mid lengths. my car is lowered about 2" and i have LT's and ORY. you half to slow down for bumps and dips, but as long as you dont rally race the thing, it will be fine.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran pacesetter LT's on my LT1 with good results. Are the ones for LS1's the same quality?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
dont waste your money. Just throw on a pair of 01-02 stock manifolds
Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard....
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

i have macs on my lowered TA and have had no ground clearence problems with them period! I noticed a power gain and proved it at the track. Also the sound is unlike any other header system out there. I had guys from this site asking what my exhaust setup was because they had never heard a fbody sound like mine did.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mac mids are decent. i got good gains from them, but had to go back to stock manifolds for emissions in my state. when i just had mac mids, magnaflow catback, lid and my own tune, i was putting down 336rwhp and 339rwtq through my auto (unlocked!). m6 guys on the same day, same dyno with similar mods and longtubes were putting down less (without tunes).

just do not buy them used as they eventually rust and can develop leaks.

^don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. maybe he's thinking of shorty headers.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF? lol, that is just retarded. Mac mids are a good bang for you buck header. I got mine for free and added a True dual setup and i can tell a huge difference in power and ET's

Sure they arent as good as a LT, but they still are much better than stock manifolds.I really liek the sound of my Macs and TD's also.. Some people should have a disclaimer by their username saying dont take this guys advice!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

^don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. maybe he's thinking of shorty headers.[/QUOTE]

How is this such a stupid comment? 01-02 manifolds actually flow very well. Do your research before you guys bash me.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, if i were you. I would look into the BBK longtubes & ORY setup, which you can get for $500 shipped from LMPerformance.com

SoulTKR, i hope i got his screen name right on here has the prototypes of these header's.
Which were built on his lowered Trans Am. <--- Main reason i went with these for my setup.

I have these longtubes & ory on my car, now my car isnt lowered but i do have great ground clearance at the moment. Honestly, i think its just as good as the clearance you have with the stock y pipe. That was 1 of the 1st things i thought about when looking for header's, and with this setup. Im really happy, the y-pipe is tucked up in there nicely.

Just some advice for ya, MAC midlengths are good but arent your only options if you want great ground clearance.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

you should be medicated
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by its turbo time
you should be medicated
check the classifieds. he's probably trying to sell some 01-02 manifolds.
if he truly thinks they flow as good as midlength headers, he probably is very medicated
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Honestly, if i were you. I would look into the BBK longtubes & ORY setup, which you can get for $500 shipped from LMPerformance.com

SoulTKR, i hope i got his screen name right on here has the prototypes of these header's.
Which were built on his lowered Trans Am. <--- Main reason i went with these for my setup.

I have these longtubes & ory on my car, now my car isnt lowered but i do have great ground clearance at the moment. Honestly, i think its just as good as the clearance you have with the stock y pipe. That was 1 of the 1st things i thought about when looking for header's, and with this setup. Im really happy, the y-pipe is tucked up in there nicely.

Just some advice for ya, MAC midlengths are good but arent your only options if you want great ground clearance.

I just put on the BBK LTs last summer. Very nice headers IMO & a very good price. I did have to get the poly engine mounts but I would think that would have to be done with any LT setup. My stock motor mounts were bad so maybe thats why the Y hit the floor. Sweet headers though.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

While mids will help some I would get LTs. I got my LTs, O/R Y, and CB through speedtweekerz for $899 shipped to my door....
Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My clearance was great at stock ride height but I do scrape every now and then. While I don't fault the LTs as they have no scratches/scrapes.

I do blame my buddy who installed my LTs and didn't make sure the Y-pipe was close to the floor
Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

^don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. maybe he's thinking of shorty headers.
How is this such a stupid comment? 01-02 manifolds actually flow very well. Do your research before you guys bash me.[/QUOTE]

Flow well compared to what? The 2000-02 cast manifolds flow a little better that the 1998-99 tubular ones, but are nowhere close to a set of MAC mids. With an off-road Y-pipe I would have easily picked up over 20rwhp versus the factory manifolds. That is like an additional 8% HP gain!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I just put on the BBK LTs last summer. Very nice headers IMO & a very good price. I did have to get the poly engine mounts but I would think that would have to be done with any LT setup. My stock motor mounts were bad so maybe thats why the Y hit the floor. Sweet headers though.
yea, im really happy with these header's. My Y-Pipe did bang alot, but since i changed out the exhaust. It really doesnt bang as much as it did. Its not as noticeable as it was back then. I never did change out the motor mounts, mine looked to be still in good condition.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

the reason i'm interested in the MAC mids is because i life in SF and i currenlty have the stock exhaust and i already scrape all the time, now the Y pipe banging around isn't great but its not the end of the world, however i've bottomed hard on some stuff thanks to super sh itty CA roads and if i smacked the bottom of my headers into the ground that would be a whole lot harder to fix than a bent up Y pipe. however, if i lived in any other city in the country i could probably get away with long tubes, but steep drive ways and hills and ***** suck.

my car has all bolts ons but headers and Y pipe and i have a nitrous express kit currently jetted at 100 shot. i'm going to put on MAC mids and a clutch and some other stuff this summer though and take it out to the track. without the nitrous i've gone 13.0 on crappy street tires, but that was my first time drag racing in 3 years and first time ever in this car, also the weather was super hot and humid, i think the car has 12's in it easy. hoping to hit 12.8 on street tires once i put on headers and do some other stuff.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allforspeed
the reason i'm interested in the MAC mids is because i life in SF and i currenlty have the stock exhaust and i already scrape all the time, now the Y pipe banging around isn't great but its not the end of the world, however i've bottomed hard on some stuff thanks to super shitty CA roads
If you're already scraping the stock y-pipe, it probably won't improve with any of the aftermarket headers or y-pipes. You can adjust the MAC y-pipe up pretty high, but since it isn't crushed like the stock y-pipe, you'll get into those "high-center" situations more often. BTW, the y-pipe banging is the result of the stock motor mounts...they are horrible...even brand new ones don't dampen engine movement like they should. Replace them with poly and the y-pipe will never bang again. My y-pipe is 1/4-3/8" off the floor board and it never bangs.

I picked up 22 rwhp and 18 rwtq when I switched from stock 99' CI manifolds to the MAC headers and y-pipe setup. This was also on the stock PCM tune. If you do a search you'll find countless other examples of people gaining power with MACs and even a few examples of people running 8-9 second 1/4 times with them.

redlineracing...you've been here two months...it's not time to pass out advice yet. It's commonly known around here that shorty headers aren't worth the money, MAC mid-lengths are good, LT's are best. Selection usually comes down to $.

Last edited by NOBR8KSS; 03-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power from my Macs was good. Ground clearance I'd say is no better than my long tubes cause my Mac Y pipe hung pretty low. I'd go LTs. Sound is better with em anyway.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
MACs are OK.
I ran them for awhile..I made 360 RWHP with a stock longblock (01 LS6 cam) & an LS6 intake.

Unfortunatly,I can't seem to even give them away..They're just sitting in my garage collecting dust.
Wanna sell them?