General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

backfire ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire ?

So i just helped my friend put headers on his car. And every now and then the car backfires. Usually its at lower speeds/lower rpms. Its pretty random tho. Is it just due to a the deleting of the oxygen sensors? It seems to run fine. Sometimes theres slight hesitation from going from a stop and acclerating. But once your above 1500 it seems to be ok. When i put headers on mine, mine never really backfired even without a tune.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive heard of ppl accidently hitting the sparks plugs when doing headers. check those and the wires.. And you tuned out the both rear ones right?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002redhawk
So i just helped my friend put headers on his car. And every now and then the car backfires. Usually its at lower speeds/lower rpms. Its pretty random tho. Is it just due to a the deleting of the oxygen sensors? It seems to run fine. Sometimes theres slight hesitation from going from a stop and acclerating. But once your above 1500 it seems to be ok. When i put headers on mine, mine never really backfired even without a tune.
Does this happen right after he starts the car up when its warming up? And if so then this is normal especially if your untunned. Mine does this all the time, when you start the car up and go out and let off gas quick itll back fire and yes theres a hesitation below 2000rpms until its warmed up for me also. Once the car is warmed up the backfire is gone and the hesitation is gone. Don't worry about it, thats usually just from not having cats it's no big deal. After a tune it should minimize it but its just waiting for the car to warm up itll stop doing it then.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

His does it while its warm aswell. He drove from his house to mine....roughly 20-30 min. And when he was pulling in he gave me a friendly lil rev. and it backfired. He said his rev was from 1500-about 2500-3000. Anyways his plugs are fine. and wires are good. It doesnt havppen all the time tho. Just kinda random thing.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002redhawk
His does it while its warm aswell. He drove from his house to mine....roughly 20-30 min. And when he was pulling in he gave me a friendly lil rev. and it backfired. He said his rev was from 1500-about 2500-3000. Anyways his plugs are fine. and wires are good. It doesnt havppen all the time tho. Just kinda random thing.
Is it tunned yet? Mine sometimes does backfire also when its warm but it isnt the loud firecracker pop I hear when its just warming up. It's normal though I wouldn't worry. If you don't have cats that's what happens.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tried to change my headers with the spark plugs in and ended up with backfiring too, lol. I cracked a plug. Every time I got on it at all it would sound like gunshots through my open headers, lol.

I changed the plugs and it was good.

I still get little backfires when the revs come down, but that's normal. Just need a tune, we're probably both running rich as hell.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
I tried to change my headers with the spark plugs in and ended up with backfiring too, lol. I cracked a plug. Every time I got on it at all it would sound like gunshots through my open headers, lol.

I changed the plugs and it was good.

I still get little backfires when the revs come down, but that's normal. Just need a tune, we're probably both running rich as hell.
hehe aint that true. I told him to get a tune!