General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What's so great about LSX engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I've heard of LS1s being "touched by the hand of God" etc etc. Buy why? What makes these engines so great in reality?
connecting rods are good to 500hp FROM THE FACTORY, stock heads were considered to be among the best heads FROM A FACTORY in the automotive industry. for some reason, if you stick a cam in it and port the heads, these engines open up a ton. i believe the stock crank is good for up to 500hp or so also. they are fairly easy to build, affordable, the aftermarket is excellent for them, and the community of ls1 guys is THE best.

I also have a 72 Firebird with a Pontiac 400, and most of the Pontiac community can't stand newbie questions. Not only will the ls1 community stand it, they don't treat you like you're an idiot if they know that you really want to learn, and they are willing to help you out because they understand what it's like to be a beginner. Just a really great community.

and lastly, the ls platform is incredibly versatile. want a v8 with decent power and decent gas mileage? done. want a twin turbo setup? done. want a supercharger? done. want a carbureted version? done. want to put a th400 behind your ls1? ok no problem. let's not forget the LS9 in the ZR1 is RIDICULOUS with power, and that insanity is still part of the LS family.

these are just my reasons, but there are so much more.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone for their input and information. Great information here and I really appreciate it. I knew I couldn't go wrong by asking that specific question on this site. Great stuff guys
Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28usmc
Before I put my 4.10's in I got 31 highway in my Mach1....I got high teens in my Cobra and my 86 SVO was high 20's. Guess I just have good luck.

My z28 on the other hand is mid teens at best- but I didn't get her for fuel economy. LOL
and before i put my 4.10s in I also got 31 highway.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
and before i put my 4.10s in I also got 31 highway.
Touche' however if 4.10's in my Z28or my Mach were my only mod I'd be worried......trust me- their not. - I am down to mid 20's if I drive under 70 in the Mach now though.

Anywho- I'm not trying to turn this into yet another Stang VS LSX thread. Both have their places and both have their strongpoints and drawbacks. I've had pretty extensive ownership of both (mostly Ford) so when I see something that isn't quite right I try to set the record straight. As for the fuel economy thing FORD was the ones who said they went to the modular design in part because they could use small cubes and make it efficient AND powerful vs the pushrod technology at the time. THEY made the claim- I just restated it. That being said it has been MY experience with the mod motors I've had that they are VERY efficient for being a V8 but definitely not all that powerful with the exception of my 03 Cobra.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Go look and see the difference from the Lt1 to the Ls1. It's as if the engineer came from the future because the design was so radical. Cathedral Ports is all I have to say.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think these engine are very good because you can make them vary reliable in any kind of raceing/street driving road racing i believe there was a ls powered corvette that won the 24hrs of lemans, drag racing n/a in the 8s,9s,10s, fi in the 8s,7s and even the 6s, and they are very relable and efficent on the street to as you can see by the number of high hp street cars so in my opinion they are one of the best all around engines out there.

Oh yea i think the mod motors from ford are great but n/a to n/a they seem to have a hard time with ls engines case in point my buddy has an 07 gt full bolts ons cammed tuned auto and i beat him by about 2 cars from a stop and about a car and half from a 50mph roll in my 02 full bolt on 3000 stalled a4 t/a his car made around 330rwhp i believe and my car made 332rwhp and his had cams. But its still a nice car and i will say i absoulty love the way any of those cars sound!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think someone should bring back the thread about what LS stood for in the LS1
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SbSS01
Cathedral Ports is all I have to say.
this confuses me. what about the L92/Ls3 heads? im a believer after havin my L76 apart and seeing those huge rectangle intake ports... the numbers dont lie either

Quick Reply: What's so great about LSX engines?