General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Problems after dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Problems after dash removal

OK, my car has been dormant for about 4 years since I removed all the interior and dash to install a 10pt. roll cage. I have finally got back in the groove and reinstalled the dash after completing the cage. I plugged all the plugs from harness back in and attached all grounds. The battery is dead, but I connected my charger to it and even with it on engine start, the cluster lights (fault indicating) will not come on at all. Every now and then, the SES light comes on, or blinks but none of the others will come on. The gauges will sweep on the first try after connecting the charger, but never after that.

My first thoughts were that it was due to the fact that I pulled both air bags and air bag module, but I connected the module back up and it did not change anything. I have tried two different ignition keys, thinking it was the resistor in the key, but that did not work.

The headlights/brakelights/blinkers/flashers all work, even the blinker lights and high beam indicators in the cluster work, but the fuel pump does not prime and the starter will not even try to bump over.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

sounds like a mess. someone should catch this soon and be able to help
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Do the gauges work? And the lights just wont come on? Did you go back and check to make sure cluster is plugged in? If everything seems to be hooked up, I would pull the cluster and check the connectors with a test light and see if your getting power through the wires
Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The gauges will sweep one time after first connecting the charger, but that is it. I also found that when I try to hook up to the data link connector to check for codes, the scanner powers up when first connected, but when I turn the key on, it goes back off like it loses power and will never connect to it.

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Do the gauges work? And the lights just wont come on? Did you go back and check to make sure cluster is plugged in? If everything seems to be hooked up, I would pull the cluster and check the connectors with a test light and see if your getting power through the wires
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back up
Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back to the top.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

I personally would be checking the ignition switch connection on the column. Forget the resistor on the key, you would still be able to turn the ignition "on" with a non pellet key. From what you say, everything seems to work that is not a "key on" circuit - all of your "always on" circuits are working.

Also, if it is plugged in, disconnect it and look at the pins on the switch. Had a car towed to me (similar situation) and the pins were bent/not contacting the wires in the connector.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Default what happened?

did you figure out what the problem was?