General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

is there a difference???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a difference???

i wrecked my 99z 6spd awhile back and its been sittin in my driveway for ever. i couldnt find anything cool to swap my stuff into so i just bought a 95z auto with no motor/trans last week. i only paid 400 for it and its already got f/r eibachs, sfc's, adj. panhard, and lca's with re-lo brackets. it ran and drove but the tranny was slippin and the kid needed money so my buddy got it for $1000 and pulled the motor for his jeep project.then sold it to me.

anyway my question is; are the shells the same exact ''mold'' from 93 to 02? what i mean is, if i were to completely gut both cars would i find all the same holes and passageways. will all the mounting holes for my 99 clutch pedal assembly work in a 95 auto? and can i pull my complete dash out of the 99 and put it in the 95 and route my harness the same?

i know that guys normally just use the older dash when they do this swap but thats probly cuz they dont usually have a whole ls1 car at there disposal. i actually think of this project more of a SHELL swap rather than a motor swap. cuz i basically want to take ALL of the stuff off/out of my 99 and put it on/in the 95 so when its done you wont even no anything was different....its even the same red hardtop as my 99

thanks guys, any info appreciated
Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much yes. There will be a few small things you'll need to modify like the pedal mounts but do some searching on here and you'll find what you need and see its not at all difficult. Easiest advice I can give is to just drop both subframes with the engine and trans all in one chunk and slide yours under the "new" car. Dont forget things like the abs pump, and maybe the hvac box, although Im not 100% sure the hvac box is any different. I know the power booster and master cylinder from one style can be used on the other. Dash bolts in and can use the hvac box from the older car as long as you change the ductwork on the back of the dash with the newer dash. ( Again, I do not know if the internals for the AC system in the older hvac box are compatible with the newer ac pump etc. ) As far as the wiring, if you keep everything in order, you should be able to swap the entire harness without a problem. It is very doable and I hope you keep everyone here updated on your progress.