General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

low octane engine build

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default low octane engine build

I am curious if anyone has done an engine build designed around running 87 octane gas that currently is the cheapest. I seem to recall a story like this done in a Chevy car magazine some years ago. I believe they designed the entire engine around using the low octane gas. Made pretty decent power if I recall. Anybody do it here using modern fuel injection/heads/cam?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

I think people in general put too much thought into this. Let's say premium fuel costs 30c a gallon extra over regular. If you used 1000 gallons in a year that amounts to a total of $300. When talking about engine builds and trying to put cheap gas in performance cars, is it really going to hurt that much financially over the course of a year? Other things in life punch you in the gut and you basically just grin and bear it. Insurance can jump for no reason at all in increments like that as can any lousy repair needed around the house. $300 is nothing in these times. Use premium and forget about it.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it can be done.

Buy why would you want to when the LS1 will run just fine on regular? The computer will retard timing if you get overenthusiastic when it's too hot or you're lugging it.

It's a good question for bench racing, but not much of an issue in the real world.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the engine in my 76 to run on regular.
It has 8.8 to 1 compression, up from the stock 7.6 to 1.
I did this because at the time a blower was an option, not because I wanted to get by on regular gas.
It puts down about as much power as a stock LS1, but gas mileage isn't comparable.

Don't the new Mustangs run on regular?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see alot of Turbo cars running the e85... I never really understood it...