General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What mod to do next

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mod to do next

So I'm trying to decided wht mod to do next I already have k&n filter wit induction hood 3600 yank stall and a street tune I wanted to do some lt headers wit y pipe no cats but I don't want to b illegal I'm just scared of getting pulled over I live in Cali by the way so I was wondering wht to do next engine wise
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

What's your budget?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Out Of Focus
What's your budget?
800 bucks at the moment but could spend more if worth it
Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

How about some Pacesetter long tubes with a catted Y pipe from Texas Speed? Here is a link to the y pipe. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-292-tex...ed-y-pipe.aspx Would that be legal to use in Cali? I don't have to deal with emission testing here, just making a suggestion.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

i live in cali as well and i have not gottne pulled over yet and ive had my car for 8 months now, just keep up with your tags and dont have to dark of a tint or tail-lights blacked out(mine are about 50% blacked with VHT Nightshade), but what to do next LT's ORY LS6 manifold and a dyno tune and u will have a fast street car on your hands.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

install an electronic cutout in your exhaust. You'll get decent flow, as much or as little sound as you want, idk if it is illegal in cali but if you have it closed there is no reason for them to look, and you'll come in way under budget so you'll have more money to do something else ie headers.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tyler Z28
i live in cali as well and i have not gottne pulled over yet and ive had my car for 8 months now, just keep up with your tags and dont have to dark of a tint or tail-lights blacked out(mine are about 50% blacked with VHT Nightshade), but what to do next LT's ORY LS6 manifold and a dyno tune and u will have a fast street car on your hands.
Yea my car is legit all the way round I think ima go ahead and throw some lts on no cats and mayb a intake a lil later

And t-top I don't think it's illegal as long as it's closed even if u get pulled over
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Launching!

just so you know, in cali, long tube headers are illegal, so is the y pipe weather its catted or not and so is the cutout, that being said, i have had grot headers and offroad y with cutout since i got my car in 2001, also it might be wise to put on cats or some hollowed out ones because if you get a ticket for the long tubes or y or the cutout, you would just have to put the stock stuff back on to go to a ref, however if you are caught with no cats you can be fined up to $10,000.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you cant do exhaust. id save some money and do a small cam swap that will go with the verter and you can still be legal and pass the smog good luck. oh you can do some gears may be?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not very informed when it comes to Cali laws... i live in IL where we only have OBDII testing... but from what I understand you need to pass a strict visual inspection in Cali. I assume that would mean you must at least appear to have cats, as well as EGR and AIR. That said I assume you could run headers with EGR/AIR hookups and cats and be ok? I am not sure though just a guess. Maybe someone from cali can chime in with what they have been able to get away with and not.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phynix
just so you know, in cali, long tube headers are illegal, so is the y pipe weather its catted or not and so is the cutout, that being said, i have had grot headers and offroad y with cutout since i got my car in 2001, also it might be wise to put on cats or some hollowed out ones because if you get a ticket for the long tubes or y or the cutout, you would just have to put the stock stuff back on to go to a ref, however if you are caught with no cats you can be fined up to $10,000.
Yea I kno it illegal thts y I didnt want to do it but it a easy 15-25 hp thts the only reason I consider it but I was thinking of putting dummies on if I did
Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by udienow
I am not very informed when it comes to Cali laws... i live in IL where we only have OBDII testing... but from what I understand you need to pass a strict visual inspection in Cali. I assume that would mean you must at least appear to have cats, as well as EGR and AIR. That said I assume you could run headers with EGR/AIR hookups and cats and be ok? I am not sure though just a guess. Maybe someone from cali can chime in with what they have been able to get away with and not.
Long tubes automatically make them illegal and wont pass smog but I'm not worries bout some I kno someone the will pass it
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

just be smart and keep the racing on the streets to a minimum and they will have no reason to pull you over, problem solved
Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

U Really dont loose a lot w/ a good high flow cat !!!!I Took the SLP ones off 1 of my cars and only went 1 tenth faster in the 1/4 !!!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fmunguia
Long tubes automatically make them illegal and wont pass smog but I'm not worries bout some I kno someone the will pass it
Are the cops really that strict about that? Technically ANY modification to the factory exhaust is illegal here in IL (i think this applies to all states but I could be wrong) but you dont see anyone caring about that here in IL. I have never heard of anyone getting busted for running aftermarket exhaust aside from some loud exhaust tickets which are BS anyway.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rustmaro
How about some Pacesetter long tubes with a catted Y pipe from Texas Speed? Here is a link to the y pipe. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-292-tex...ed-y-pipe.aspx Would that be legal to use in Cali? I don't have to deal with emission testing here, just making a suggestion.
They're illegal in California because they relocate the cats which is a no no. Glad I don't live there.