General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

MAF sensor bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor bad?

Alright so my car had been not wanting to start up at the first turn of the key. So I would often have to turn it a second time and then it would fire right up. When getting on the gas and letting up my exhaust would pop almost like a backfire. So I unplugged the MAF sensor and drove around without it for a day and had no problems getting the car started and no popping sounds. I took the sensor out and cleaned it up with some rubbing alcohol and q tips and it was pretty dirty. So I let it dry and stuck it back in. Well It seems to start fine, but when I get on it I can still hear that popping sound when I let off the gas to shift.
Do I have a bad MAF sensor if the cleaning didn't seem to work?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Any codes?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

anyone? anyone?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yea Its throwing that both banks are too lean. I originally thought it was a fuel pump but Its been doing it for about a month or two now so... Service engine light comes on for about 60 miles and goes off for another 60, the repeats the cycle. When I talked to my local garage about the problem. They told me that it could be that mass airflow sensor and that one of the guys had the same problem. They said if it keeps up what its doing, unplug it, and if it goes back to normal.. theres my problem.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You really shouldn't have touched the MAF sensor with anything while cleaning it. Just use some MAF cleaner by spraying it on and waiting until it dries.

Do you still have O2 sensors on your exhaust? That would be another thing to look at for lean bank codes.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

U was having a similar problem not too long ago and it turned out to be a vacuum lean on the egr hose sealing with the top of the intake and around the throte body. So check all hoses a d connections before you go out and spend money on a new maf like I did.

Quick Reply: MAF sensor bad?