General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine swap question

My buddy lost the engine in his 98 trans am and is wondering about dropping in a 5.3 or 6.0 from a truck...what will he need to change besides oil pan and pick up? will the truck intake manifold fit under the cowl or will a ls1/ls6 be needed? Also if he has the ECM from the same truck how much tuning will he need or can he just plug it in and go? he's not looking for the most performance but needs the car mobile for cross country trip and will be rebuilding the ls1 when he gets back later.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am doing a LQ4 (6.0) swap right now. You need to make sure when getting either a 5.3 or a 6L that it uses the same reluctor wheel. I believe that the stock fbody reluctor wheel size is 24x but please do some research and do not quote me on that. You also want to make sure that it is not an earlier model that has Displacement on Demand, I believe this started in 06, but again don't quote me on that either. Other then that, the oil pan, and pickup tube are a must. You will also need a new windage try, or you will have to modify it. I am using my ls6 intake that came on the car. The truck intake is very tall and am not sure if it would fit or not. Tuning will also have to be done in order to compensate for the new engine size. Other then that, that's really about it.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they should be the same style ecm if you get the right 24x setup, and no the intake will not fit you need to swap the car intake and accessories onto the truck engine, and I would just get a stock truck tune from someone off the hp tuners forum and load that into the ls1 computer and keep it in the car if your going to be putting it back in
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Get one before 06, and as mentioned the intake, windage tray, and pick up tubes are a must.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...p/viewall.html
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bobyboy101
Get one before 06, and as mentioned the intake, windage tray, and pick up tubes are a must.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...p/viewall.html
Good read

Quick Reply: engine swap question