General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How do I force A/C compressor on

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013 | 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Default How do I force A/C compressor on

How to jump the A/C compressor on a 1998 LS1 to know it's working?

Freon shows full, like 45 lbs. and relay is good....but no cold air and A/C comp doesn't come on.

Paperclip through the A/C compressor relay? There's 4 prongs, so which ones?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013 | 04:26 AM
Teching In

Disconnect the battery for 5-10 mins to reset the computer. If the refrigerant gets low or anything, it throws the AC system into "safe mode" and won't engage the compressor. If that doesn't work, pull AC relay in the power box under the hood, and jump B1 to B4.

Also keep in mind, the AC pump has to be running to accurately measure the refrigerant pressure.

Last edited by ReCoil; 06-26-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ReCoil
Also keep in mind, the AC pump has to be running to accurately measure the refrigerant pressure.
Thanks man, you just saved me a lot of time and at least a few hundred dollars. I was checking the pressure, but the A/C compressor wasn't on and it showed 40 lbs. I didn't want risk overfilling it and thought my compressor was bad. I was going to buy $100 in gauges just to make sure that my old gauge wasn't bad first. If not, then take it to a shop.

Anyway, recharging a can worked and it's showing 45 lbs. There's a leak somewhere so that sucks. Probably due to not using the A/C enough for 2 years straight and forgetting to turn it on once a month during the winter, etc.
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:52 PM
On The Tree

40psi on the high and low side with the compressor off is most likely too low to turn on the AC compressor. Typically when I connect a set of gauges to a car its 80-90psi.
Old 06-27-2013 | 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Bird
Thanks man, you just saved me a lot of time and at least a few hundred dollars. I was checking the pressure, but the A/C compressor wasn't on and it showed 40 lbs. I didn't want risk overfilling it and thought my compressor was bad. I was going to buy $100 in gauges just to make sure that my old gauge wasn't bad first. If not, then take it to a shop.

Anyway, recharging a can worked and it's showing 45 lbs. There's a leak somewhere so that sucks. Probably due to not using the A/C enough for 2 years straight and forgetting to turn it on once a month during the winter, etc.
Glad I could help! There are recharge bottles available from AC Pro that have a "sealant" mixture in them that might buy you some time to fix your system leak. You might give it a try!

http://acprocold.com/product/acp-105...ced-stop-leak/

Quick Reply: How do I force A/C compressor on