General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Selecting an engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting an engine

Hey folks,

So I'm in the market for an LS engine, and ideally I'd like an LY6. I almost had one in my hands, but then the seller had some unfortunate accident with his shop roof collapsing and now I have no engine. Now that I have to buy something else, there's some questions I'd like some insight on:

- mileage: how much is too much? I'd like to get an engine that is pretty much drop in ready. Of course the lowest the better, but that also comes at a premium. Is an engine with 200k pretty much at rebuild time?

- RPO: I've decided on the LY6 because it's a gen4 with vvt, and has the L92 heads. Also it has big cubes to start with. 6.2L engines are out of my price range otherwise I'd go for that. Now, with that said, would it make sense to downgrade to a 5.3L such as the LM7 and do mods? I'd like to have at least 320-340 at the crank, would not object more hp for a good price.

I've also looked at long blocks and getting the accessories separately, but the damn harness is hard to find and commands a horrible premium, even bone stock. Not going that way. Right now scouring ebay for a good deal on a dropout.

The car this engine is going into is a land barge (72 olds delta 88 convertible) and will be used as a weekend cruiser. As of now, I wouldn't like to spend more than $3k on the engine, as I have other stuff to dump money on such as the fuel system.

TIA,

Dante
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you priced a LY6 motor used in your area ? Just asking.......

Have you priced 6.0 or 5.3?

Any LS motor can cracked 350 horses with ease. Not hard yo accomplish that at all..
After all you get get your hands on a LQ9 out of a escalade add a tune and headers and you'll make 410 horse/440 ft lbs of torque using th ed factory cam, intake and heads.
The LY6 has a rectangular port head.... not really the best type of head for torque.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Have you priced a LY6 motor used in your area ? Just asking.......

Have you priced 6.0 or 5.3?

Any LS motor can cracked 350 horses with ease. Not hard yo accomplish that at all..
After all you get get your hands on a LQ9 out of a escalade add a tune and headers and you'll make 410 horse/440 ft lbs of torque using th ed factory cam, intake and heads.
The LY6 has a rectangular port head.... not really the best type of head for torque.
The local prices I've seen are absurd. They're at least the same as ebay+shipping, if not more. Not only that, but it's usually from auto dismantlers that will charge me 8% sales tax on top of it. Absurd.

I've started looking at LQ9s as well, seems like a good deal. LT headers were definitely in my action plan, so that's good to know I can make that kind of power.

--
Dante

Quick Reply: Selecting an engine