General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Starting a project.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a project.

Hello everyone,
I've lurked around here for quite some time to peak my imagination on what I would like to do. But since my 03 silverado was my only vehicle, I never really dove into it. Recently my 3/4 went out so I bought a 91 k1500 for 800 bucks to get me around while I do work on the 03. I pulled the tranny/transfer case yesterday and have settled on this kit. https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=470&cat=55&page=1

​​​​​​The more I think about it, I want to go ahead and do work on the 5.3 while I've got my truck torn apart. I've bounced a lot of ideas around, seen posts on the 01+ 6.0 swap and all that but I think I'm okay with just keeping the 5.3. I don't have an in depth knowledge of automobiles but I was an aerospace propulsion tech and a millwright, so I have a few skill sets at my disposal. I would like to do some work on the engine but all the specifics tend to make my head spin, I'd like to squeeze a few more horses out of the engine seen as how I'm beefing up the tranny but don't know where to start.

Now for the questions. I know I want to go ahead and do the headers as that seems to be a healthy start, but kind of wanted to cam it as well, after reading a lot I feel like I always see posts that just steamroll from one thing to the next and the price range just goes up with it. What I'd like to do is maintain it as a daily driver, minor to no towing, minor off roading and I like to bury the throttle sometimes. I guess what I'm asking is, what would be a relatively cheap build that doesn't require a lot of follow up mods? Just headers and a tune? My budget for engine alone is probably looking like 2000 with some flexibility but I'd like to obviously stay as far away from the top of that range as possible. I'm not scared to get into the deep end as I'm used to precision work and I can follow procedures well. I'm just worried about picking the wrong parts or counterproductive combinations.

I suppose I'm looking for a direction to go in and I feel like this is the place to ask. I don't really trust the information coming from the other sites I've seen. The end goal of this engine/tranny build will be to eventually swap it into the 91 k1500 since I prefer that body style.

Edit: I would like to get as close to 400 or more HP as possible if I can.

Last edited by T.j. Adams; 11-13-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Forgot key information
Old 11-15-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Give this a read, might be what your looking for in your truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...hp-22rwtq.html
Old 11-16-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After more research, it seems 6.0 lq9 is the best option. Now to just find a reasonably priced one from a trustable site. Lol

Quick Reply: Starting a project.