General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LSA AWD in a CTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA AWD in a CTS

I recently have fallen in love with the CTS wagons. Ive looked around and was just wondering if an idea was realistically feasible. Take an LSA and 6L90 out of a CTS V and drop it into an AWD based CTS or vice versa shoving an CTS AWD drivetrain into a CTS V. I have read of people doing this with various LS engines using an Escalades transfer case, but I was wondering if it was possible under the CTS wagon, as most other vehicles were SUVs or larger sedans. I was wondering if this was one of those things "might not be easy but it could work" or is it one of those "anything can be done with enough money" ridiculous things? Yes I know theres emissions testing and all that. This was more a hypothetical scenario.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The awd system in the cts is questionable. It's not super reliable and it's only a 25/75 split from what I've seen. If you really want high performance awd you have to go custom since the stock version is just for getting unstuck on snowy roads. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer case explodes if hit with full power lsa. GM likes to build things just strong enough for stock and awd lsa isn't stock.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Chevy Colorado 5.3 ,, came 4WD ,, I'd do some spelunking in the parts catalog, it may be the same TCASE in some models, Same with Escalade..
Given the low production numbers, you'd think they would plagiarize their own existing design rather than re-invent..?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps find a AWD Astro Van. These were used in Syclones/Typhoons and can hold up to some power. But even at the LSA power level, they may fail.