General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

DOD lifter problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOD lifter problem.

In an attempt to cure my 6.2l of an annoying lifter tick, I replaced standard lifters with ls7 lifters. And I also replaced all the DOD lifters, as my engine has the Active Fuel Management on it. After firing it up and running it until it was up to temp, it’s noisier than before. I pulled one valve cover and noticed no oil coming out of two push rods. Both push rods are on DOD lifters. Do these lifters take a long time to prime? Should I run the engine longer in hopes that the oil starts to come out the top?
Old 12-23-2019, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevierayb
In an attempt to cure my 6.2l of an annoying lifter tick, I replaced standard lifters with ls7 lifters. And I also replaced all the DOD lifters, as my engine has the Active Fuel Management on it. After firing it up and running it until it was up to temp, it’s noisier than before. I pulled one valve cover and noticed no oil coming out of two push rods. Both push rods are on DOD lifters. Do these lifters take a long time to prime? Should I run the engine longer in hopes that the oil starts to come out the top?
Did you replace the valley cover as well? I'm sure you did. How long did you let it run?
Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not replace the valley cover. And I was racking my brain about whether or not the solenoids on the cover could be the problem. But I feel like even if they weren’t working properly, the lifters should still be getting fed oil from the same gallery that feeds the other lifters.

I ran the engine up to temp (about 4 or 5 minutes). Then let it sit. Started it again and ran it for about a minute. I then drained the oil and put 0w-20 in it and ran it for a few minutes hoping thinner oil may get into the lifters easier. Still very noisy.

Quick Reply: DOD lifter problem.