General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help getting title

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 07:41 PM
Teching In

Default Need help getting title

Well the dealer i got my camaro from somehow managed to forget to send off my title. So i talked to him about a month ago and he sent it off. Its taking forever. Is there anyway to find out if the gov has the title yet? or is there anyway to get it faster, maybe picking it up or something? Reason i ask is i have someone interested in my car and cant sale it because i havent received my title yet.
Old 07-24-2006 | 07:57 PM
Launching!

The car is paid off in full correct? No lien (loan) on the car? If it is paid off and you have no loan balance typically in most states the dealer/lender legally has 30 days to get you your clear title. But it has to go thru your states BMV before you get it. Try calling your states BMV and give them your VIN and they should be able to help you find out what the problem is. And usually you can pick it up if you live near where your states BMV headquarters is. Usually in your state capitol.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:09 PM
Teching In

Im in alabama, i guess its bad that i dont know my states law on this. I paid for the car in full. Its already been a month. I guess i will have to contact the BMV and see whats going on. I was told that i couldnt pick up my title, i would have to wait for them to mail it to my house. A buddy of mine told me this so who knows the truth behind it. Anyways thanks a bunch for the help.
Old 07-26-2006 | 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know about Alabama, But here in SD it takes about 2 weeks to get your title once you buy a car. They come from the capitol city. Here you can't go and pick it up, and must wait for it in the mail. I guess you could call them up to make sure they got it, and switched the title over to your name.
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:42 PM
On The Tree

i had to send off to get my title on my last car and i had it within 2 weeks and i live in Alabama also. not sure what the law is here but i recieved mine in around 2 weeks. good luck with it. alabama is soo screwed up.