General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Packing/Shipping an engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Packing/Shipping an engine

Hello guys. I'm trying to sell a motor I have sitting in my garage and it looks like the only way I'm going to be able to do it is by shipping the blasted thing. This leads to the problem of never shipping an engine before .

What i'm looking for what kind of packing to use and where. What kind of pallete (just a regular one?). Bubble wrap, packing peanuts (hehe), heck whatever tricks you guys use to make sure the normal wear and tear of shipping doesn't destroy the engine on it's way to it's new home. Of course, all of this would be irrelivent if it met it's fate to a forklift .
Old 08-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just strap it to a pallet with some rachet straps from Wal Mart($10 for 3) and lay some cardboard over it to protect it from things bumping against it. If you put the cardboard on it, that qualifies it as a 'box' and you get a cheaper ship rate.

The freight class for an engine or engine/trans combo in a box, on a pallet is 70 and the class on a pallet bare is 85. Get it to a shop to ship from there and you'll save further.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

he is correct

if it is on a skid, it is class 85 (NMFC# 120790 sub 1)
or if it is on a box/crate it is class 70 (NMFC# 120790 sub 2)

the lower the class, the cheaper it will be to ship it.

check out freightquote.com, or myfrieghtworld.com.....our you could always use fedex freight, or ups

and since you are in central PA, i may be able to help you out on shipping. I work for a trucking company. Shoot me a pm, and i can probably help you out
Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

The company I work for gets a 73% discount on shipping prices, thanks for the offer though . I'm not too worried about saving money (since i'm not paying the shipping). I'm more concerned about the thing not breaking in transit. If those straps are enough, great, less to worry about for me.

Do people really strap these things down and put cardboard over them? lol that's amazing.

Quick Reply: Packing/Shipping an engine