General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just a rant!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, now that you cleared yourself up, I'm in total agreement. Sorry about the commie comment. I understand that packages save a little bit of money for car companies, but there should be a package that you can buy, lets say the enthusiast package, where you can essentially build your own car. Hell tack on an extra $1000-2000 buck onto the car for the added cost. Those things would sell like hot cakes to our demographic.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Try sitting in a 2 hour traffic jam on the commute home every day moving along at a brisk 5-10mph when it's 90*F outside with a bright sun and 95% humidity, with no A/C.

Hell, maybe that's your idea of fun. Not me. Not ever.

My Points exactley..

That 2-65 (2 windows,65mph) **** doesn't work when your in traffic...or how about working outside in the hot sun,then you have to drive somewhere while still pouring sweat cause you have no a/c...

a/c is a must in FLA,Texas,Cali,NM,Arizone,etc

Whoever says just roll your windows down obviosuly never sat in 100* weather in traffic
Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 AM
12 Second Club

My responses to your post. I deleted ones I dont have experience with or care about.

2. power locks:Very nice to have. Its just a pain to have to unlock all the doors when you have 4 people getting in your car.
3. power windows: What if you want to talk to someone on the passanger side? Its a pain to lean over a consel to roll it down.
4. power seats: I used to agree with you, but its nice to make a minor change while driving down the interstate instead of going all the way back or all the way to the front.
5. power mirrors: Same as above. Easy to change when driving.
6. set heaters/coolers (suck it up) Not sure what your saying here.
7. auto dimming mirrors: Very nice although not a nessecity.
8. traction control ( learn to drive): Never had a car with TC.
9. cup holders: WTF? You never drink anything while in your Camaro or any other car?
11. head lights that move/rotate: Experinced this in a Gallardo. Very nice when driveing at night.
12. nav systems (pay attention to the road): Maps arent always up to date.
13. stabilty systems (learn to drive): No experence here.
15. dvd players: I guess you dont have kids. Nice on long trips. (I dont have kids, just speaking of when they first made TVs that plug into the cig lighter).
16. leather anything: Nice to have a nice interior.
17. sound deading materials (weight savings): I dont like listening to the road and all the cars as I pass/get passed by them.
18. huge sound systems (no one needs 10 speakers, 4 at the most w/deletion option): Helps with boredum on long trips. I also like to listen to music while I drive.
19. wheels bigger than 15 or 16 inch (the bigger you go the worse the ride gets and performance is slower): I guess Corvette, Lambos, Ferraris, etc are slow.
20. A/C (4-55 A/C, 4 windows 55mph): It must always be cold where you live.
22. sat radio (why pay I get it for free now?): Dont have it but if I traveled a lot I would.
23. cars that parallel park themselves ( what happens when the computer goes crazy and tries this at 65mph?): True
24. hi-feature DOHC engines (save money use push-rods and who cares about NVH standards. "This engine makes 400hp, gets 60mpg will last a million miles but it sucks because it does not have a silky smooth idle."): Whats wrong with makeing more power with less?
26. climate control ( instead of turning one *** i have to push 14 different buttons to do the same thing): I havent had your experience with climate control.
27. auto wipers ( they never stay at one speed even if I do and the rain doesnt change): I wouldnt trade them for anything. What if its barely raining and I just want it to clean my windshield every minute or so?
28. electronic suspension ( I always hear how it controls the vehicle better, maybe someone should have checked the valving on the stock shocks): Nice to have when road conditions change.

I agree with some of you about letting everyone customizeing there car to exactly how they want them but it would cost more. Think of how big of a pain in the *** it would be for the facotry to make 100k different cars. Lambos and Ferraris and like cars are pretty much built for the customer and look how much they cost.

Just out of curiosity how old are you? Im guessing you grew up in the 70s. Although you know how to use a computer so maybe Im way off.

Last edited by BLK85; 02-08-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

BLK85 I am 23 years old, but I can see why you might think I grew up in the 70s. The rant started as a list of things I did not want on a car and grew from there. Some of the stuff on the list I still find completely useless like #23. cars that parallel park themselves. Can you imagine what would happen if someway that car got to "thinking" that it was time to parallel park while going down the highway? I know there are systems in place to prevent this but sometime those break and I dont want a car that thinks it can drive. The thought of a computer controlling the steering wheel scares the crap out of me.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

lol, dude download the vid on how it works(on youtube) its slow as hell and a person could park in 1/10 of the time, but it WONT kick in at high speeds(it already takes 2-4 mins for the car to go by the space, calculate the parking area and complete the park. Its not gonna go off while your doin 65 down the highway. its like saying computer controlled ABS will kick in at any time theres a "malfunction", it wont, instead it deactivates the system totally when there is a fault. These guys(lexus) also have come out with an 8 spd auto tranny which I am def looking forward to seeing in more cars(for better gearing, acceleration and fuel economy. Its like those stupid reverse sensors, in my opinion anyone that NEEDS one shouldn't be driving, but think of how rare they were 10 yrs ago, now its almost std equipment on any truck/SUV. i personally love toys on cars and being that I usually buy cars used, the previous owner has already taken the hit for the added $$$$$ on options.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by J's99Zrated
Why do auto makers keep putting useless junk on cars. Get rid of power everything except ABS and cut down the cost.

I see no real need for:
1. drive buy wire systems
2. power locks ( just lazy)
3. power windows
4. power seats
5. power mirrors
6. set heaters/coolers (suck it up)
7. auto dimming mirrors
8. traction control ( learn to drive)
9. cup holders
10. auto headlights (get rid of the switch and/or sensor, they should come on when the car is on and go off with the car)
11. head lights that move/rotate
12. nav systems (pay attention to the road)
13. stabilty systems (learn to drive)
14. auto trannys with gear selectors/ paddle shifters (other than PRDNL)
15. dvd players
16. leather anything
17. sound deading materials (weight savings)
18. huge sound systems (no one needs 10 speakers, 4 at the most w/deletion option)
19. wheels bigger than 15 or 16 inch (the bigger you go the worse the ride gets and performance is slower)
20. A/C (4-55 A/C, 4 windows 55mph)
21. Onstar (help I am a dumbass and l locked myself in the car)
22. sat radio (why pay I get it for free now?)
23. cars that parallel park themselves ( what happens when the computer goes crazy and tries this at 65mph?)
24. hi-feature DOHC engines (save money use push-rods and who cares about NVH standards. "This engine makes 400hp, gets 60mpg will last a million miles but it sucks because it does not have a silky smooth idle.")
25. any type of I-drive or touch screen controls
26. climate control ( instead of turning one *** i have to push 14 different buttons to do the same thing)
27. auto wipers ( they never stay at one speed even if I do and the rain doesnt change)
28. electronic suspension ( I always hear how it controls the vehicle better, maybe someone should have checked the valving on the stock shocks)

Any others I have missed?

*edit- fixed #4 to say seats

Go back to the 1920s

I wouldnt buy a fucken car with nothing in it, WTF are you talking about?

Should we all live in caves?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
lol, dude download the vid on how it works(on youtube) its slow as hell and a person could park in 1/10 of the time, but it WONT kick in at high speeds(it already takes 2-4 mins for the car to go by the space, calculate the parking area and complete the park. Its not gonna go off while your doin 65 down the highway. its like saying computer controlled ABS will kick in at any time theres a "malfunction", it wont, instead it deactivates the system totally when there is a fault. These guys(lexus) also have come out with an 8 spd auto tranny which I am def looking forward to seeing in more cars(for better gearing, acceleration and fuel economy. Its like those stupid reverse sensors, in my opinion anyone that NEEDS one shouldn't be driving, but think of how rare they were 10 yrs ago, now its almost std equipment on any truck/SUV. i personally love toys on cars and being that I usually buy cars used, the previous owner has already taken the hit for the added $$$$$ on options.
Those backup sensors are EXTREMELY useful for bigger SUVs with blind spots, especially around small children.

Instead of an 8 speed auto, why not just go with continuously variable?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Go back to the 1920s
The 20s most likely sucked but I would not be around for 60 years.

I wouldnt buy a fucken car with nothing in it, WTF are you talking about?
Would you buy a classic muscle car, like a 69 Z28 Camaro? It did not come with any of these options except maybe A/c.

Should we all live in caves?
What does not wanting to pay extra for standard options have to do with living in caves?

Please read the whole post before you reply.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes but thats not the case, its 2007

I would own a muscle car, but thats a whole different topic

I think stripper versions can be offerd

I like heated and cooled seats, its nice
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

My freind, I drive a Gutted LS1 that weights a little over 2,900 pounds...

It has no wipers. No locks, no AC, no PS, no crash supports NOTHING!

AT ALL! lol So I know
Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Like I said in post #15
I want to be able to buy a car with out all stuff on certain models. I understand that some people will want or have a use for these items. I just dont need most of these things
slick1851-
Do you daily drive your camaro or is it just a track car? If you do drive it all the time, is it a pain to live with a gutted daily driver? I have been thinking of putting my car on a diet but I would keep all of the safety stuff because it is a DD.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the side impact beams in, but the from supports are good for 5MPH so no need for them....

I was daily driving it when it was nice out, its kinda boring....No radio is really kills it..

Its not that bad, I dont use half those things anyway...

Im putting back in the radio, and Power steering, everthing else is gone and isnt need to me.

LS1s are very fast when there lightend to my point!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I love my T/A just like it is, I don't think my car is over done with options, I thinks its just right, anything more than that is just too much, well it could use a bigger sub(which I put in)
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. You my friend are a complete retard.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Fbodies in my books barly have any options, they have normal options

I dont see anything speical about our cars at all, we dont have heated seats, we dont have Navi, we dont have rear parking cams, etc etc etc, I can go on forever...no on board computers blah blah( Im talking about more than a ECU)

These a normal optioned sports cars and thats it...

And you know what, its nice to not REACH OVER and roll down a stupied crank window by hand etc
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

All this new modern **** in cars is starting to **** me off. Its become more of a marketing "look what we can put inside this car!" than something you're going to use.

TV's behind all the seats? please, if you're kid is that much of a brat that they can't sit still and look out the window for 15 minutes on the way to school then you've got parenting issues.

All a car needs is the essentials such as power everything, a radio/cd player and ac/heat, because you are going to be using those things everyday. Leather seats are a plus, as is an upgraded sound system. Some amenities they are putting into cars these days may prove useful and effective, but most of them if not all of them these days are more of a "look what my car has and yours doesn't".
Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** that. i love my heated seats.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

My take on this is don't make me get options I don't want- you CANNOT buy a stripper any more, can't buy the A/C delete, no radio (which sucks if you are going to an after-market one anyway) etc.-

I am not saying YOU can't have that stuff, just don't make me take it and pay for it if I don't want the weight or the complexity- that stuff is nice when new but a pain in the butt to start fixing when it breaks-

Order whatever you want, but don't make me pay extra for "courtesy light group" or convenience packages, or deluxe interiors. when I want a car that I might be buying for club racing on the weekend-
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

EVOs you can get stripper models. And some other performance cars, but most people arent buying the strip models...Only hardcore guys and there isnt much of them
Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

You Neandrathal.....