General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

collision coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collision coverage?

So at the moment, I have full coverage on my car (comp & collision) with $500 deductibles from Geico, and pay about $1750 a year, and that's the lowest I've been able to find for the coverages I have. I got a quote from Esurance for the same coverages just minus the collision coverage, and it's $800 a year. I also tried raising my deductible from $500 to $1k, but that only made it $80 cheaper per year.

I don't daily drive it, and it comes out once, maybe twice a week. I most probably won't put more than 5k on the car in any 12 month period, either.

Should I keep collision coverage? That's by far the most expensive part of my premium, and I would keep comprehensive. Generally speaking, does collision only kick in if I'm at fault? Their wording is a little bit murky, but from my understanding, it pays for damages if I run into something while I'm moving. Would comprehensive cover me if I was parked, but wasn't there to get a plate?

23 year old male (24 in two months)
no accidents, no tickets (unless you count tint, which I fixed)
it's my only car
I rent, and park in the garage
the car is paid off, 2002 Z28 with 33k miles
Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most insurance companies have a way cheaper rate if you sign up that you keep the car under 5k miles per year. I am looking at a 99 Firehawk right now, and every insurance was about 2k per year, then I checked allstate, and they are down around $1400. www.allstate.com I'd check them out, they may be saving me a lot of money over my current state farm, and all the other companies I checked.(That is also their gold package with accident forgiveness right when you sign up) Other than that I wish you luck.

~Gary