General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Whatever You Do, Don't Descreen Your Maf!!! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I never really liked the way the lid fit. When you buy a lid, does it come with the whole air box, or just the top part? I never liked the way my kn fits in the bottom of the box too, I wonder if the bottom of my box is stock, I always assumed it is. The filter really doesn't fit very well in the bottom part. Tough to tell with the top part, but not the other day it wasn't! How about you guys, how snug does the filter fit in the bottom half of the air box? Stock or kn filter?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have a Texas Speed lid and I had to seal it with weather stripping from Home Depot to keep the big stuff out.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good idea. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Did the texas speed come with just the one piece lid, or the whole air box?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't the screen help "straighten" airflow? You know air is coming in through the filter in swirls or something and the maf screen is supposed to straighten it, or something, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
The screen isn't for protection, it's an air straightener for cleaner flow, and removing it will actually HURT your performance. That's why you can't see through the screen unless you look straight on, because it's not a mesh, it's more like a honeycomb.
that sounds like the same theory that "Turbonator" uses to sell their product. Sounds pretty crazy to me. Mine screen was removed 70K miles ago and hasn't had the first problem yet.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
that sounds like the same theory that "Turbonator" uses to sell their product. Sounds pretty crazy to me. Mine screen was removed 70K miles ago and hasn't had the first problem yet.
I think it's not about more flow, but more accurate Mass Air Flow Sensing.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The screen isn't for protection, it's an air straightener for cleaner flow, and removing it will actually HURT your performance. That's why you can't see through the screen unless you look straight on, because it's not a mesh, it's more like a honeycomb.
No offense, but the gist of your original post implied protection as you had a bunch of crap stuck to your screen.
The screen doesn't do much of anything except restrict air-flow. Why do you think GM got rid of the screens for the LS6/Z06?
How many guys with 500+rwhp keep the screen? I doubt that you'll find many... I now push over 600rwhp and haven't run a screen since I did basic bolt-ons. It was never/isn't an issue.
Do a search...the topic has been beaten to death.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the 90/90 setup, I kept the screen and it's sealed right nicely ... with the 90/90 there's no reason to descreen or I'd have that **** canned already.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
No offense, but the gist of your original post implied protection as you had a bunch of crap stuck to your screen.
The screen doesn't do much of anything except restrict air-flow. Why do you think GM got rid of the screens for the LS6/Z06?
How many guys with 500+rwhp keep the screen? I doubt that you'll find many... I now push over 600rwhp and haven't run a screen since I did basic bolt-ons. It was never/isn't an issue.
Do a search...the topic has been beaten to death.

You make sense, but miss my point. Yes, it cought debris in my case, but the point is what the screen design intent. I believe it was designed intending to straighten the air. I was Just saying, in my case I was lucky so there is a second reason to leave it in.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Funny.......ZO6's do not have a screen, maybe we should tell the GM engineers that they should put a screen in them A.S.A.P.!!!

So let me get this straight. You should not remove the screen (besides catching ****) but more so to straighten out air flow that is about to bounce off the inner stock accordion causing massive turbulence???!!! LMAO!

That gasket that fell off and got sucked back must have been in horrible shape, and in which the owner should have seen when he checks the air filter = operators fault.

I've been running no MAF screen on my SS for almost 7 years, and when I got the FAST 90/90 for my 427 I bought the Granatelli 85mm MAF. And guess what, it does not come with a screen.

Maybe I should fab one up to fit in there so the air can bounce around with turbulence as it travels straight into the throttle body and straight into each cylinder.

No matter what there is always something in the way as air travels into the cylinders.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

wow that would of been super bad

Last edited by 5301113; 07-28-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

The mesh screen on an LS1 MAF is used to diffuse the air entering the meter and ensure an accurate air mass reading by the element. This is how our MAF sensors were designed to operate, but DOES NOT mean that a different vehicle's MAF must be identical. Some use mesh screens, other's use a small sampling tube to meter air past an element, some use an edge-to-edge element to ensure a reading across the entire inner area. A MAF can be designed to accurately measure air flow in many different ways. However, if you alter the original design then there is a good chance that you are also going to alter it's measuring ability. In our cars, this different reading could remove a rich condition as programmed by the factory, optimizing your A/F for better HP. On a bolt-on car, I seriously doubt that you can flow more air than the stock mesh screen will flow. Here is a quote from Wiki's Mass Flow Sensor page:

LS1 and onwards engines (as well as others) use a "coldwire" MAF system (produced by AC Delco) where by the air passing over a tiny sensor causes inductance, this inductance is converted to a frequency which is then fed to the car's ECU. This frequency is related to the amount of air (CFM) passing over the unit, these MAF units (such as the one pictured) have 3 pins, +, - and F, the F contains the square-wave frequency between - and F.

The mesh on the MAF is used to smooth out airflow to ensure the sensors get the best chance to get a steady reading, it is not used for measuring the air flow per-se, it is not recommended that you "clean" these units other than ensuring the wire-mesh is completely flat and free of any debris. Manufacturers claim that a simple but extremely reliable test to ensure correct functionaldiscarded and an OEM replacement installed.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

My 85mm Granatelli has no tube as you mention, I think the new C6 ZO6's have them but not the C5 ZO6's.

I believe you will flow alot more air, but you are right about one thing. You should get a tune so you can bring in more fuel. I've heard of A4 guys having trouble with no screen, but is M6 guys are fine.

Peace,
CRaig.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Good idea. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Did the texas speed come with just the one piece lid, or the whole air box?
To answer your question, it came with the lid and a clamp.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

i have been running a descreened ported stock MAF for over a year with no probs, sorry for the bad luck
Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Ya Man This Has Been Discussed, DONT REMOVE YOUR MAF SCREEN!
Yes it has...and it's been discussed in extreme detail by people
that actually know what they are talking about. Bottom
line is that I highly recommend descreening it. I descreened my
MAF back when I had my LS1.

Looks like the weatherstrip wasn't applied correctly to me.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow so thats the screen do all the ls1's have it becauase i dont have a screen like that but then again im not the first owner.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
i have been running a descreened ported stock MAF for over a year with no probs, sorry for the bad luck
No problem. I consider it good luck really, car runs great again for free, and thanks to the screen, that junk stayed out of the engine, which seems to run great again.

Funny thing is, didn't get any codes, until I fixed it, then I got a ses light. Ran strong and smooth, but almost weaker off idle. Cleared the codes, and now it's perfect again, so, looks like pretty good luck, thanks though.

As for the weather stripping installed wrong, I was thinking that maybe. As for the operator error comment, I agree, I could have nipped the problem in the bud when I saw the corner of the weather stripping separated, but thought the lid would hold it in place. Guess not!

Well anyway, feel free to descreen if you like. It seems to me the car is not starving for air due to the screen, and the MAFS is designed and calibrated for having the screen, and if you have this rare problem, it can even keep your parts out of your intake valves.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You make sense, but miss my point. Yes, it cought debris in my case, but the point is what the screen design intent. I believe it was designed intending to straighten the air. I was Just saying, in my case I was lucky so there is a second reason to leave it in.
Yep, in your case it was damn good thing the screen was there. The MAF screen MAY help straighten air that has just come around a corner, like on the L98/LT1 F-bodys, but our intake design is such a straight shot that the "straightening" benefits were far outweighed by air-flow restriction. GM realized this and removed it on the later performance MAFs.
Again, I'm not busting *****, just trying to give a counter-point.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 AM
12 Second Club

ive had it for 6 months and have had 0 problems so far

Quick Reply: Whatever You Do, Don't Descreen Your Maf!!! Pics