General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just looking for inputt

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just looking for inputt

so i have this guy i work with that owns a sr20 240sx. its a decent car, it makes about 400 rwhp, it was shop built and this guy thinks he knows everything about cars.

On more than one occasion he has told me that pushrod v8s aren't efficient and don't make as much power as they should. by his thinking since a 2 liter 4 banger that is not considered a perfomance engine can easily come with 140 hp stock that a six liter v8 should make more tha 420 hp since it is a performance engine. never mind the fact that many ls6 crate engines made at least this, and so do many stock ls2s. i tried to explain to him that the motors are effecient because they tend to not be as radically cammed and are not working nearly as hard. then he told me that for a ls7 to be as good as the s2000 motor then it would need to make 750 hp and he said that it is not possible. the argument is pointless really because he also thinks ls1s have horrible power bands and he thinks he can beat everything. he told me once that my ws6 that made 490 rwhp and over 550 ft/lbs and weighs 3400 lbs had no chance against his 432 rwhp 360 ft/lbs 2700 lbs car because torque doesnt matter. I now that its pretty much dumb bench racing, I just want to hear some other opinions.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Well I've own 2 sr's and they are garbage...I had gasket problems boost problems and all that blah blah...His opinon about the LSx series isnt all that good...Sounds like he is into rice buckets and thinks he cant be beat ....he'll change his opinon once something that has a v-8 gets a hold of him at the track or the highway lol
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

thats the problem, i beat him when he had just bolt ons and i had just bolt ons. like 3 cars from 40-120. then when i sprayed i beat our other freinds turbo ka 240, and those make way more torque and that car made over 400 rwhp. the only v8s he thinks are effecient are ford mod motors.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like his a Dick
His has a nice setup but it not the best in the world.
I've seen LS engines better , I've seen fords engines better, I've seen Dodge engines.
Let see how reliable his engines is
He favors 4bangers more then V8's ,no matter what you say he won't listen
RACE HIM
When you win tell him "TORQUE MATTERS"

That will shut him up
I HATE **** PEOPLE........
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white02ws6
he told me once that my ws6 that made 490 rwhp and over 550 ft/lbs and weighs 3400 lbs had no chance against his 432 rwhp 360 ft/lbs 2700 lbs car because torque doesnt matter. I now that its pretty much dumb bench racing, I just want to hear some other opinions.
Anyone who says “torque doesn’t matter” as a blanket statement is an idiot.

He says torque doesn’t matter, but horsepower does? Remind him and his small brain that horsepower is a function of two things:
Torque and RPM

Tell him that you will not talk to him again about cars until he gets smarter. The conversation should be based on engineering – not ignorant blanket statements with no scientific backing. There are just too many variables here to make stupid conclusions like that.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

hes lost before...its always wrong speed, wrong gear, you have better tires, whatever other excuses, maybe his lane had a headwind and mine had a tailwind, it wont change. i'm pretty cocky too, but i know i have a mid 11 second car, not the fastest around, but good enough to show most guys tail lights.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

03-04 Cobra = 24mpg ....at best

ls1 f-body = 28mph

ls1 vette = 30mpg

Ruined his day with that one right there. And if he says pushrod LS1 motors are old and outdated ask him what motor was in the WWII Sherman tanks........it was a Ford DOHC V8.

He might have 400rwhp, but I bet his tq is around 190rwtq! And I bet thats why he says that it does not matter, because he has none.

These guys are right though, he'll never listen anyhow.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

its got more torque than that...about 330, which still isn't anything because my bolt on ls1 made almost 380. i had brought up fuel economy, he admited ls1s have great fuel economy, but i don't think he brought that up to effeciency. he knows hp is based of torque and rpm, he just figures rev higher. i guess they should stop using pusrod v8s in top fuel dragsters because they aren't effecient enough. It is amazing how many people think that ohc are new...does anybody remember when ford tried it back in the 60's? great motor made power, but was expensive and still didn't make enough power over hemis and bbc to make it worth it.

one more thing, if you want to talk about effeciency as a whole what about packaging? a dohc cobra motor is wider at the heads then a 460 ford, yet an ls series engine is soooo small. my buddy has a fox body stang with an svo mill in it and his engine dressed (with manifolds and turbo) takes up more room than a ls motor. it doesn't have crap to do with power, but you have to put the engine in the car right?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds to me like you need new friends....
but yea, although he does have a good setup, he sounds ignorant and that hes not lookin at the whole picture. If he has a built engine with a turbo I promise that a built LS1 with a turbo in the same car will be just as fast if not faster and no gay turbo lag either
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Dont worry andrew...I'll run him with my outdated pinto motor once its done