General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key will not turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kblehm
The lock cylinder was removed and would turn freely, yes.
We did grab the rod and yes it moved freely forward like we where starting the car.

I went and talked to GM dealership and I was told its the rack in the column that needs to be replaced and the parts kit it only $50.00. I was told that its the slid that connects to the gear that is broke.
Go to a parts store and get the kit from them. It won't be listed for a 2002 Camaro... The rack kit from dealership will have EVERYthing... more than you need.

You want the plastic sector gear and the ign switch act.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Go to a parts store and get the kit from them. It won't be listed for a 2002 Camaro... The rack kit from dealership will have EVERYthing... more than you need.

You want the plastic sector gear and the ign switch act.
+1 thats what I needed but the parts guy couldnt figure out what I was talking about and I got frustrated and left. ended up getting the kit just to get it over with
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JTelesone
+1 thats what I needed but the parts guy couldnt figure out what I was talking about and I got frustrated and left. ended up getting the kit just to get it over with
If you get ALL the service kits for the column it is like 160 dollars. hehe

I think the rack kit also comes with a some springs, a new 1/4 inch screw, and that weird little spring that goes into the pocket of the sector gear.

It won't be that hard to fix. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have to replace that metal part that would suck. It is a lot harder to get the next housing off due to the pivot pins and tilt mechanism spring you have to remove. You might be able to replace the metal part without removing the next housing though.

Anyways if you get stuck let us know.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

It wasnt the lock cylinder that was broken. A Rack kit is only $58.00 and all I needed was the slid thing that connected to the rod that started the car and tuned it off (dont know what it was called) and thats only $14.00. Also the Rod was bent and the selector switch on top of the column housing wasnt working properly. That was $80.00 something.

the column from the tilt to the wheel had to be removed and the Column its self was unbolted and hanging to fix the rod and the switch that connects to the cable that goes to the BTIS in the shifter.

It will be finished tomorrow afternoon, just waiting on a part from the dealership. This was a pain in the A$$!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help, and the pic of the column that helped alot on understanding how this all works!!!!!!!!!! Their has to be a better way, that way to much stuff in such a small area!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

This link was helpful to me:
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/sh...tyle=printable
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Ouch. . . . . .