General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have a big problem..... not good

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have a big problem..... not good

alright, this has been an on-going problem for awhile and lately its getting bad. last year i had a problem where whenever it rained the front 02's would short out and cause my engine to stumble, smoke, only go to 2000 rpms with my foot all the way down.

i went to 2 shops they fixed it and everything was good. well eventually it did it again so i unplugged the 02's and it ran fine. well recently over the past couple of weeks it been starting to do something similiar.

the symptons are, smoking randomly, very bad gas mileage in the city (like drive 15 miles and see the needle drop), whenever i come to a stop the rpms drop to like 200-300 the car stumbles then it goes back to regular around 600, whenever im driving/crusing at light throttle the car is very jerky, i mean like shake your head jerking, like u were tapping the break. also at light throttle if you get off n coast then get back onto it, it stumbles then the rpms jump up and it goes again. the idle is very rough and choppy almost sounds like its cammed but its not.

it doesnt have any vaccum leaks, the oil seems fine, the coolant light came on a few times but i topped that off and its fine, i cleaned the maf, new tps sensor, the computer is not throwing any codes, none stored. im stumped, i know the not having the 02's in probably doesnt help, but if i plug those in the car wont run at all.

can anyone give some insight? im close to taking it back to the shop i just wanted to see if anyone could help, thanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

Dont you need the front o2s to adjust air/fuel, and all that mess? I know the rears dont matter, but you need the front. Fix the shorts, make sure the wires are where they wont short again, and plug back the o2s!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Launching!

Yea, running without the front O2s are a no-no. Your car has probably been running pig rich since you unplugged them.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 AM
12 Second Club

the pcm has tuning so its running off of an open loop tune pretty much. actually the car is running on the lean side a bit
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running open loop with MAF or without? If with, clean your MAF ($4 can of MAF cleaner and q-tips for the wires) and replace the air filter (if you haven't recently). Also your fuel filter could need replaced.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

i have the maf in and its clean, i have an aftermarket maf, but i just put the stock one back in. its got a new airfilter, and fairly new fuel filter. plugs are a year old or so, but there clean as hell, the wires are new also.