General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Leak

Leaking down onto my new alternator. Easy to remove or is it a pain in the ***? Is is better to buy just the pump and put my reservior on it or buy one with it?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Someone please respond to this thread....

no it's not really hard ...although it's easier with a jack and a stand for safety...

i have the same problem... damn steering fluid fu**s up everything it touches... i had to repair my alt twice already, and replaced the S/P once... please provide some help on repairing the pump,and reservoir leaks...

i've been told not to fix the pump, it won't last long.... how true is that?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

The PS cooler in the radiator is prone to break. If it does it adds water/antifreeze into you PS fluid, making it thinner and more leak prone. If fluid is coming out of your PS fill cap, get the radiator hose that bypasses the PS cooler in the radiator and go from there.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check to find where it's leaking from.. the nut that comes from/goes to the reservoir was loose on mine and causing it to lose fluid.. I tightened it up and everything was good.. Also, check where the nipple attaches to the rubber hose.. it may have came loose, but be careful because that thing may as well be made of glass..
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

the pressure hose is also a big culprit for leaking fluid onto the alternator, you might want to check that if you haven't
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Go buy a manual rack and be done with it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
The PS cooler in the radiator is prone to break. If it does it adds water/antifreeze into you PS fluid, making it thinner and more leak prone. If fluid is coming out of your PS fill cap, get the radiator hose that bypasses the PS cooler in the radiator and go from there.
Check out this article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html They state that the stock pump will deteriorate faster without the cooler. LS6427 has a good writeup on installing an alternate cooler for those interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...nt-cooler.html

I am also having problems with leaks on to my alternator. After kicking around ideas to make a PS Pump diaper to catch the leaks, (I don't think this is going to be practical.) I'm looking at a relocation bracket. KWik Performance makes what looks like a solid one to switch the pump and alternator locations. I'm just not sure yet what kind of plumbing and wiring work will be involved.