General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problem getting key out

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem getting key out

My friend at work has a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix, and he has this issue where he can't pull the key out of the ignition. He can turn it on and off no problem, but it won't release the damn key. He actually leaves the key in his ignition when he goes in to work (although he does have an alarm system). Does anyone have an idea how he can fix this? I assume it would be no different than in a camaro or firebird.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried it personally to see if it's user error? Maybe check the owners manual to make sure there's nothing listed about a special way to get it out?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
My friend at work has a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix, and he has this issue where he can't pull the key out of the ignition. He can turn it on and off no problem, but it won't release the damn key. He actually leaves the key in his ignition when he goes in to work (although he does have an alarm system). Does anyone have an idea how he can fix this? I assume it would be no different than in a camaro or firebird.
dealership f t w on this one i believe.... hahaha
Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

If your friend is indeed pressing the key release, then its probably either a bad/worn/bent key or a bad cylinder.

Try wiggling the key back/forth/in/out to see if that will get the pins retract. If the key comes out, try using another key next. If it sticks again - bad cylinder. If not - bad key.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how a Grand Prix works, but I recently had this problem with my daily driver. The shift interlock mechanism won't allow you to remove the key unless the shifter is in park. Underneath the shifter there is a little rocker arm, and when you put it in park a little pin on the shift lever trips that rocker and it presses the switch that tells the ignition that the tranny is in park. That rocker broke, so there was nothing telling the ignition that the tranny was in park, hence I couldn't take the key out. I took the console off, took the part out and JB Welded it back together, now it's working fine. Is this a column or console shifter on this car?