General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

loss of power : for about a second

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default loss of power : for about a second

Im having a weird issue with my car and was wondering if anyone here might havesome suggestions for me

While im driving the car it will loose power all of a sudden for one second. this only happens while im just cruisin and have my foot light on the gas. it feels like its falling on its face but then quickly kicks back up. at wide open throttle it never does this

iv replaced the spark plugs, mass , throttle body , and had it tuned again since this problem with no result.
however when i replaced the mass air flow i thought i had solved the problem but it came back again.

my cars mods include : heads, cam, nitrous, th400, dana60 , and some of the smaller mods.

the motor seems to be fine , i have noticed very small metal shavings and have changed my oil several times. i get great oil pressure.

does any know what might be the problem to this very annoying problem?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o2 sensors maybe?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default power loss

my car does the same thing, new plugs, wires, throttle body position sensor, and ive had it hooked up to a snap on modis many many times and it says everythings fine every time. somebody please tell us what this is, ive heard of alot of guys having the same problem
Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

same problem here guys i was told the o2 sensors also... i'm thinking it might be cold weather related??? (funny cus ud think cold would make them run better) i still haven't found my problem not spark, not wire, not coil, not fuel... tps is responding fine on the scanner... i'm about at wits end... it only does it for me intermittenly taking off from complete stops... like pedal halfway down no reaction then everything kicks on???

Just as a wonder what time did you guys get your cars tuned??? i was wondering since mine got tuned in the scorching summer if that might have something to do with it since it never did this till it got cold
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

well on my problem. it started in the summer and has been doing it since. ive tried the 02 sensors and think maybe its a fuel problem. my car does it only when im allready rolling . does not do it from a stop.

Also : i visited the track not too long ago , it took off preety good and was rolling until the 1/8th ... my rpm's started to drop even though i was full throttle... then it backfired through the intake and blew my lid open..

could this be part of my problem?

could my fuel pump be going out and intermediately failing?
i realized that i said that it doesnt occur while full throttle . but i dont usually get full throttle on the street.

i tried to catch the blurp once and gunned it as soon as it bogged down : it felt underpowered for a minute then kicked back up..

at first it started dong it frequently. After i changed the MAF it almost never did it . then i went to the track and after the mishap it started doing it as many times as before the MAF change

any LS1 gurus out there know what might be wrong???
Old 12-06-2008, 02:33 AM
11 Second Club

I'm having this exact same problem. . I was told it could be a burnt wire. So im gonna change em out and see
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine has done it twice. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
mine has done it twice. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump
im thinking the same thing. i do still have the stock fuel pump.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

mine did the same thing last night when i was driving and merging on the freeway i was at three thousand RPM and next thing u know it drops to about 1 and a half rpm and i started pushing on the gas more and next thing u know u see my car hauling at 3 thousand 500 RPM
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default power loss

mine does it hot/cold summer/winter and right between 2500 and 3500 and not all the time. i had considered the fuel pump but never figured it would act like that.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redhotSS
mine does it hot/cold summer/winter and right between 2500 and 3500 and not all the time. i had considered the fuel pump but never figured it would act like that.
true. has anyone with this problem tried to replace the fuel pump yet?
I wont be able to until January. hopefully this fixes it.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default power loss

this weekend were gonna hook a fuel pressure gauge up to mine and drive it and see if we cant catch it dropping. theres only so many parts left we can replace to figure this out ha

Quick Reply: loss of power : for about a second