General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator / Electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator / Electrical help

So I just got my car out of the shop from having the head gaskets replaced. 1Week later I'm driving along and it dies on me all of a sudden and has no power. I noticed some white smoke coming from under the hood shortly before. I attempted to jump it, hoping I can get it home, and the jumper cables melt in two (They were on correctly). I pulled the battery and took it up to Advanced auto parts to have it tested and it tested fine but was completely drained. They charged it for me and I used the fully charged battery to get it home since I was only minutes away. At this point I figured it was a bad alternator (I recently had a power steering leak and figured that the fluid must have fried it), so I removed it, cleaned it up, and took it up to Advanced Auto Parts since it was under warranty. When they tested it, it was putting out absolutely no power. I received a new alternator, and installed it. When I fired the car up, the voltage was jumping and White smoke started coming from the alternator. I shut it off right away, and that brings me here. I would imagine the new alternator is now fried, but was wondering what could cause this to happen? I was told that it could be a bad ground or a pinched wire, but all of a sudden? My battery cables are very clean and have no corrosion. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That happened to a friend, the smoke coming from his alternator, but he had power steering fluid somehow dripping into the alternator and frying it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ i went through 3 alternators like that
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it started smoking immediately then chances are it was a bad unit. Try another one. If things were leaking, it would have to be a very serious leak to immediately smoke up like that, and a serious leak you would see.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys. I had the power steering leak taken care of so that is no longer an issue. I checked all the grounds / fuses and they were all fine. I did notice that the little red wire that plugs into the alternator was a little damaged. I'm going to replace that and try another alternator. I'll post if this takes care of the problem.