General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

temp issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default temp issues

I've been doing some searching on the forum for the "normal operating temp" and most people say around 190 on avg, but mine never goes above 185 even if i've been driving on the highway for 30 mins and get off and sit at a light for 5 mins. The fans will kick on randomly even if the temp gauge is showing my temp at around 180. I have a 98 and it's showing the normal temp after warmed up is around 178. I think it might be my coolant temp sensor since my car has also been acting up in the mornings with only freezing temps. It will start fine but then bog and die. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory gauge is not that accurate
Old 12-14-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I read that the 98s were more accurate than the 99+, but i wouldn't think that my gauge would be reading almost 170 at full operating temp.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the 98 has a better temp gauge if its at 170 then thats not really a problem a cooler running engine runs better thats why everyone puts the 160 thermostat in, my dash gauge reads 210 and my gauge pod gauge reads about 185 lol
Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
yes the 98 has a better temp gauge if its at 170 then thats not really a problem a cooler running engine runs better thats why everyone puts the 160 thermostat in, my dash gauge reads 210 and my gauge pod gauge reads about 185 lol
Should the fans come on when i first start it, even when the outside temps is below freezing? Could the coolant temp sensor be sending a signal to the computer that the engine is hot when it acutally isnt? I was talking to someone who said the probelm with my car idling rough and stalling when it's below freezing would be a choke, but he said that fuel injected engines don't use a choke, so someone told me that the coolant temp sensor could be faulty.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

You didn't mention a SES light or code so assume you don't have either. The '98's have a 3 wire ECT sensor vs. 2 wire on the '99 and up - probably why your gauge actually works. Rarely gets below freezing here but have seen my low speed fans come on with a cold start and cool temps on occasion, but not every start. Would be interesting to see what your actual ECT is on a scanner if you have access to one. I'm not one to just replace things but the ECT is easy to replace and relatively cheap if you want to try a new one. You can also visually check the connector/pins/wiring.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
You didn't mention a SES light or code so assume you don't have either. The '98's have a 3 wire ECT sensor vs. 2 wire on the '99 and up - probably why your gauge actually works. Rarely gets below freezing here but have seen my low speed fans come on with a cold start and cool temps on occasion, but not every start. Would be interesting to see what your actual ECT is on a scanner if you have access to one. I'm not one to just replace things but the ECT is easy to replace and relatively cheap if you want to try a new one. You can also visually check the connector/pins/wiring.
well i'm assuming the ECT is what's wrong with it since i don't know what else acts like a choke on a fuel injected car. I know carbd motors actually had chokes. Is there anything else which could act like a choke? I've taken it to have a diagnostic test done and the guy said the only thing which was unusual was the voltage to the MAF was low, but i don't have a SES light. That's why my dad's friend, which is a mechanic, said it could be the thing which acts like a choke, he just couldn't think of what it's called off the top of his head.

But my fans come on even in freezing temps every time......just thought that was unusual.

again thanks for everyone who is trying to help.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

"voltage to the MAF was low..." or MAF sensor circuit low frequency? That can cause starting/stalling issues but usually throws P0102 - just for the heck of it check your ENG SEN fuse. As for the fans coming on do you have a fan switch wired to the car? Just a couple ideas...
Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
"voltage to the MAF was low..." or MAF sensor circuit low frequency? That can cause starting/stalling issues but usually throws P0102 - just for the heck of it check your ENG SEN fuse. As for the fans coming on do you have a fan switch wired to the car? Just a couple ideas...
nope, no fan switch to the car. But if the coolant temp sensor doesn't work then i'll go to the next logical thing-MAF, but i'll look at the fuse first. It's just been soooo annoying since the only time my car acts up is the very first time i start it up in the morning and it's below freezing. I can let it warm up turn it off, let it sit til the engine is completely cold again and it's fine when i start it up again.

Where is the ENG SEN fuse located? The holder in the engine bay?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

well i checked the fuses and everything is fine. Should i just unplug the MAF and see how it runs?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 307 Likes on 232 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The '98's and back have a better Gauge cause it's still Analog setup..the '99 up are all a digital signal from the PCM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

i know there are a couple things which help the ECU dicide what the air/fuel should be when in open loop, but what's the most important one out of them?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to rule it out, does your check engine light work? When you turn the key to on, does it come on for a few seconds? If it doesn't work you could have a code or three and not know it, and that could cause the fans to run continuously. Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula413
Just to rule it out, does your check engine light work? When you turn the key to on, does it come on for a few seconds? If it doesn't work you could have a code or three and not know it, and that could cause the fans to run continuously. Just a thought.
yea my service engine soon light works, had three codes before for 02s and a vent solenoid. Got those fixed. But i think my MAF is bad though, i unplugged it and then started it in 26 degree temps and my car was fine. So i'm looking for just an OEM MAF.