General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Motor mount question...vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount question...vibration

I have a 99 A4 T/A. I get a lot of vibrations at certain rpms. For example at 60 mph it's smooth in 3rd but vibrates in 4th. That leads me to believe motor/trans mounts.

My car has some wear on it, 140k worth! I don't believe that the mounts have ever been replaced either. Thing is I like a smooth riding car. I don't race and don't need/want the extra 'feel' from solid mounts etc...

I did a quick search and came up with so many threads about poly inserts it was ridiculous. But what about those of us who just want everything smooth and aren't all about the performance side? Wouldn't poly add vibration?

No parts store in town carries motor mounts for my car. Where would I find them?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

poly motor mounts you can buy here from a sponser or you can buy a replacement from the dealership.

Have you checked you trans mount to make sure its in good shape?And do you have a poly trans mount? If you do this could be causeing your vibration.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just replaced my trans and motor mounts with poly replacements... went with the energy suspension ones and i honestly can't tell any difference in shake except at about 70.... then the spring on my e-brake handle starts to shake just a touch, but thats also because my gears are makin my car run at a lot higher of an rpm, so i dont do the 70mph driving too much... but i can't complain about them at all besides that one little thing
Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

If you do poly motor mounts with a rubber trans mount you won't notice a difference in vibration. Also do a poly T/A bushing while you are in there.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesR311
I have a 99 A4 T/A. I get a lot of vibrations at certain rpms. For example at 60 mph it's smooth in 3rd but vibrates in 4th. That leads me to believe motor/trans mounts.

My car has some wear on it, 140k worth! I don't believe that the mounts have ever been replaced either. Thing is I like a smooth riding car. I don't race and don't need/want the extra 'feel' from solid mounts etc...

I did a quick search and came up with so many threads about poly inserts it was ridiculous. But what about those of us who just want everything smooth and aren't all about the performance side? Wouldn't poly add vibration?

No parts store in town carries motor mounts for my car. Where would I find them?
Try www.rockauto.com. They have a huge selection of AC Delco parts and very good prices.

There's no need for poly mounts, they just cause potential problems and they offer NOTHING by way of improved performance. I have a ~500 RWHP/500 RWTQ 427 stroker engine and I have all factory mounts and bushings, they're all perfect after 7 years with this engine. Tranny mounts are all factory too. If you want factory driving feel, use factory parts only.