General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dead Car

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Car

This morning i went to warm up my 98 SS and when i turned the key the lights on the dash came on for a quick second then everything went dead, i couldnt start the car, unlock the trunck, lock the doors or nothing. Its not a dead battery cuz there is no clicking when i try to crank the motor. Now, when i got home from work a few hours later, it fired right with no problems and everything works. What the hell, i dont wanna be stuck somewhere and have the same problem any suggestions??? thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem.... check the battery cables. I removed them and put them back on made sure they were tight... and haven't had the problem since...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem, when it happens pop your hood and kinda play wiht the battery ground cable and everything will usually go back on. mine would do the same thing, it would click and hten everything would shut off, i'd go twitch the ground cable and you would hear everything go on. When i have a chance im gonna redo them but haven't had a chance.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

When the lights turned off, did the security light stay in the dash?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your ignition switch to me. I can almost guarantee it . Have had them go bad in 2 different cars one Fbody and one toyota.

Search this Thread