General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replace window regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace window regulator?

So I finally had to get my damn driver's side window motor replaced (just didn't have the time to get it done myself), and it started to stick up at the front. The shop looked at it again and said that the regulator itself was worn pretty badly, and they called Chevy to see about a replacement, but claimed that Chevy doesn't make the regulators anymore??

Have any of you guys had to replace the regulator in there or had it fail? I'm curious how it could have gotten worn so badly, and if I really do need to replace it (now or later), how the heck I'm going to be able to if they don't make the part anymore! Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

you will have to try to find one used if you can. i cant find a part number for it anywhere.10305685 is the part number for the right side but the left is not available. it is not a very hard job to do, book time is 2.3 hrs. you will have to drill out some rivets. i suggest re installing it with rivets but some people may just say use nuts and bolts to get the job done. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

Doorman makes replacement gliders that you should be able to pop on/off your regulator. Part 74408. Your local auto parts store should be able to order them.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

(In order to get them out, you'll still need to remove the regultor. Be careful when you do as the regulator will "explode" on you unless the motor remains attached.)

If the rollers are really sticking, you might try getting some Sil-Glyde grease from your local Napa. (That's the only place I've been able to get the stuff.) It matches the grease that is already in there and won't gum up when used in that location.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Well, apparently the guy at my shop misspoke, he was thinking of another car they were working on. GM still makes the regulators, but they're 250!! I was looking at some aftermarket ones, which were only about 100 - 150, so I may go that route. Although at this point, I think I'll prob try and adjust the window some to see if that gets it setting and sealing a little better and worry about the regulator later if it's still a problem...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

If your "regulator" was a problem, the window wouldn't move at all.

The rollers are the parts that wear out and cause friction inside the door. When that happens, the window doesn't move straight. New rollers should just cost a couple of bucks.

However... Your regulator or rollers are probably not the problem. Often this happens because the stops are out of adjustment. You may try taking your car to a window/glass place and let them have a crack at it. (If you aren't comfortable doing the work yourself.) At very least, you'll get a second opinion before you go through the grief of taking out the regulator. (not a fun thing)
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Problem solved. Simple Yahoo search does wonders.

Driver Side
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/CHEV...Motor_Left.htm

Passenger Side
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/CHEV...Motor_Left.htm