General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gas guage problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gas guage problems!

heyguys, i have an 02 camaro and my gas guage is messed up, it doesnt read accurate, and sometimes when the cars warm and im driving it reads a little more accurate but still way off. like when the cars ideling it shows i have like way way way below empty lol so this would be the fuel sending thingy which is the problem? and how hard are they to replace on this car, do u need to drop the whole tank or can you access it otherwise? thanks alot - cory d
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel sending unit is in the tank so drop it or cut a trap door in your hatch.

You might wanna try a healthy dose of Chevron Techron injector cleaner. It contains an additive to clean the sulpher off the sending unit. This a typical problem with many GM products. Happened on my mom's Caddy and my dad's Bravada. No probs on my 186K Z-71 prolly cause I run a bottle thru every 2-3K miles....
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so try some injector cleaner and it might do the trick ? other then that im going to have to drop my tank?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try tapping on the "glass" pretty hard when it's running, specifically when it's below a half tank. I've had to replace 3 guage clusters for this problem. The soldered connections break/come loose over time. Try this before you jump into replacing that sending unit!