General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tachometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer problem

1996 Z28 LT1,

All guages work properly except for the tachometer. When I turn the key on (power only), the tach jumps to 0 but does not move while engine is running. When I turn the key off, the tach drops below 0 as normal.

Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same exact prob here. i wanna figure this out too. my tack not working is really starting to **** me off
Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope its something simple and not the instrument cluster. I replaced all of the vacuum lines and hoses the other day on the top of the engine and the Tach just quit on me. I triple checked to make sure that I plugged everything back up properly and all of the fuses, so I have no idea where to start looking.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by IRONHEAD53
I hope its something simple and not the instrument cluster. I replaced all of the vacuum lines and hoses the other day on the top of the engine and the Tach just quit on me. I triple checked to make sure that I plugged everything back up properly and all of the fuses, so I have no idea where to start looking.
i really hope it isnt my cluster also. dont wanna spend the money. mine quit all of a sudden. drove fine one day, the next day my tach wasnt working. bad battery or alt can cause electrical issues. my car has had charging probs so i replaced the battery.....still had the prob. gonna swap alternators tomorrow and see if my electrical issues with the tach are solved
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

help plz