General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dim Driver Side Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dim Driver Side Headlight Issue

On my 98 t/a I recently noticed that the drivers side headlight (low beam) was dim. I decided to buy all four headlights and replace them all at once. As I was getting ready to install the new lights, I noticed that the low and high beam lights were lit (at the same time), but very dim on the drivers side. On the passengers side, only the low beam was on and it was normal. I did try and replace the drivers side high and low beam lights, but nothing changed. I guess my issue is elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your issue is the wires not connecting very good on the large connectore that the motor's plug into. It could be either side too. Mine do the same thing. I ended up just eliminating the connector and hard wired them. It fixed the problem all together. I know some people will say buy a new connector but I looked everywhere for them and my local dealer's computer did not even show it and the closest thing that would work was $57 dollars....a piece. Temporary fix is when the lights are in the up position, reach down and try to grab the connectors and sqeeze them together. One of them will fix the problem. It is aggrivating as crap man. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
your issue is the wires not connecting very good on the large connectore that the motor's plug into. It could be either side too. Mine do the same thing. I ended up just eliminating the connector and hard wired them. It fixed the problem all together. I know some people will say buy a new connector but I looked everywhere for them and my local dealer's computer did not even show it and the closest thing that would work was $57 dollars....a piece. Temporary fix is when the lights are in the up position, reach down and try to grab the connectors and sqeeze them together. One of them will fix the problem. It is aggrivating as crap man. Good luck.

Wow, thanks. Very interesting idea, I will go check that out.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Well that did it! Thank you very much. Gave the big connector a little squeeze and everything started working normal again. I will have to pull the connector apart and clean and grease it.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Odds are you have serious corrosion buildup in that connector.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I dont understand - the connectors at the back of the lamp?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ze7en
I dont understand - the connectors at the back of the lamp?
No, the connector for all the headlamps, including the DRL. You can get to them from under the car... It's a pretty big connector with plastic clips.

Maybe if you clean it out, it will not need replacing... I have had to clean mine out several times now.

Quick Reply: Dim Driver Side Headlight Issue