General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wiping problem

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiping problem

the driver side wiper blade will not move. i flick them on and only the passenger side wiper moves and grinds over the top of the top of my driver side wiper. i thought this was strange so i pulled them out to where they were up in the air. when i turned them on they both moved fine. so i guess it is the friction from being on the windshield. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

From the title, it sounds like a personal problem???

Anyways, from what you say, it sounds like the wipers were taken off one time, and weren't fully tightened. Take the little plastic cover off the base, and see if that nut is tight. If it's loose, it'll stay on the knurls for a long time, but eventually it'll rattle off completely. I had this happen before... in a heavy downpour across the country. Had to spend the night in a hotel. Good thing we did, since the next day, we found the road was 2' deep in water, in rural nothingness.

Back on topic... both wipers should be connected together through a linkage system under the cowl, don't know the 4th gens specifically, but it's been the same on all cars for 70+ years. One wiper just doesn't stop working... just check the nut.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
From the title, it sounds like a personal problem??? .

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
just check the nut.
Whoa! sounds like you might be trying to capitalize on this personal problem. We have rules here.... lol J/K

Sereriously though like cambell said just tighten the wiper arm nut to pivot bolt. Then the wiper transmission linkage can actuate it
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

haha yeah i had to make a little joke out of it..... the windshield wipers... not my wiping problem....not that i have one I did check the nut and sure enough it was loose. Easiest fix I have ever had, thanks fellas

Search this Thread