General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfiring...fed up with it

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only code that came up was p0305...that's the only one...I checked for the wires touching, and straightened them out. I also realized that the dealership DIDN'T change ALL the coils like they said, but only one set. So once I get the multimeter in my grasp I can check the coils and see what's up, if one of those or any, are bad. How would I check the fuel pressure? The last time I had a misfire and code, it was the catalytic converter. How would I check to see if it's plugged or not functioning properly?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

that code is for a cylinder 5 misfire, so i would check that coil, spark plug, etc. and make sure all that stuff is working properly.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Just got back from dealer with mine. We could NOT get it to miss fire. I gotta bring it back. I'll just check it my dam self. One thing you may want to try is leave it in a garage overnight and run it the next day, to see if condensation is a factor. We tried that at the dealer. At least they did not charge me. I was like...WOW! They did try and talk me into a new 2010 Camaro. LMAO!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

gold bird did you get the pm?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM

I did get the pm, and downloaded the images. Most of the stuff is foreign language to me, so it'll take me a bit to comprehend. I finally got the multimeter, so checking it tonight. Ugh...this is being dragged out too long.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GoldBird1986
. Ugh...this is being dragged out too long.
Tell me about it. I've been dealing with this for many months, and the dealer was no help the other day. Is there an F-Body club in your area? Someone may be able to help you, or even have some scanning software.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Launching!

welcome to a sucky winter with f-body's lol i've had a hesitation at low rpm's for about two months now and it only progressed to worse... took it to my tuner and the pcm was completely f'd up all the files from the tune were like he never tuned the car in the first place is how he explained it to me... turned out the main hot wire going to the fuse boxes in the engine bay was a little loose which could have killed the pcm memory like that... i got the car back we took it for a test drive with him driving it wouldn't hesitate or stumble... got home put gas in the thing turn it on and did it again like it's mis-firing and then all of a sudden it realizes where the throttle is at and goes... and i was almost happy it was fixed lol but i know better than to expect the best from my car lol... could be the fuel pump i replaced maybe a loose wire somewhere idk what i do know is it drives a lot better once it gets over the stumble but damn bugs you can't find
Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

So the service guy at Chevy said that maybe I should buy one of the new Camaros since I am having this miss fire problem. Yeah right; screwed paying their bailout, screwed paying their high repair fees, screwed buying a new Camaro with $10k over MSRP, and end up back in the service dept to get screwed again. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For one thing, a random misfire can be caused by other things than plugs or wires.You also need fuel and air in the right amounts for combustion-fuel pump,filter, vacuum leak,egr-**** it ain't always the plugs!
But since you know which cylinder now, you need to know whats missing-air ,fuel,spark. Pull wire on that cylinder and connect to one of the many spark plugs you have in your collection now and let it hang there but with the body of plug touching ground-have your friend crank it over and see if spark is strong.
Make sure plug on injector is tight- since its only #5 it can only be plug,wire,injector or coil.Fuel pump,filter vacuum leak etc. would affect other cylinders.If you think it's coil or injector swap wit a cylinder on the other bank and see if DTC code shows it moving and you will have diagnosed it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So you didn't have any wires crossed? I remember when a mechanic crossed my wires, took it to another mechanic and he found the problem among other things that was causing my problems in the first place. Hopefully, you checked those.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

My cat was hitting the undercarriage of my car enough for the knock sensor to pick it up and pull the timing. Check your exhaust clearance too.

Quick Reply: Misfiring...fed up with it