General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

strange noise? any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question strange noise? any thoughts

My friend has a 98 TA and his car started making a strange noise around the front of the engine. Its not a squeek its more of a rattle like what bad ball bearings would sound like. We took the primary belt off and left the AC belt on and ran it for a little bit and the noise went away so we narrowed it down that far. Belt, tensioner, and idler are all new. I thought it sounded like it was coming from around the water pump so he sprayed some WD40 behind the water pump pulley where the bearing is and the noise would stop for a min or two. So we replaced the water pump and the noise went away for a couple days but has since returned. Any ideas on what it could be? I searched this and other forums a lot but cant find anything quite like this.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Teching In

ttttt
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, before you start to get worried....something similar happened on my V-6, NOT the LS-1. I thought the water pump was going out, because of a wierd rattle when I started the car up. When the car got warmed up, it would go away. In fact, it went away for like a month....and came back. Since I have a connection at the dealer to get super low prices, I checked my friend to run a mechanic diagnostic before I ordered me a new one, to make sure I was on the right track. They had the car for 3 days, before they could figure out that it was not the water pump. They also told me that it was something internal with the engine and they would have to crack it open to know exactly. Even at my discount, I was warned $3k~$4k. I paid my $30 nostics fee and split. So, I sold the car as is and got $5,500 and this was just a couple weeks ago. the car at 84k miles.

Now a T/A is a whole other animal. If they told me that, I would order all the lower internals and tell them to rebuild it with all high performance stuff. That is if its the problem. Since the water pump replacement didn't work, I would consult either a LS-1 PRO or the dealer, no one else!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Teching In

ttttt
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

A pulley!!!!! Check ALT, Power Steering, Crank, Idler!!!!!!!!!