General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV Sludge... need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Sludge... need help

Ok so it's my buddy's 02 Z28 and it's throwing a code for Cylinder #7 Misfire. We have swapped plugs, wires, coil pack, etc and it is still happening. Now he has a light brown peanut-butter like sludge coming out of his PCV system. I am pretty sure that means he is getting a bunch of oil into his #7 cylinder, either through a crack in the intake manifold or blown rings etc. Either way we are tearing into it this weekend and I wanted any more .02 that you guys could offer. Oh and I haven't personally seen the problem yet so all I'm going off is what he's told me. Obviously the first thing to check for is oil on the plug... so yeah just steer me in the right direction guys
Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Do you have alot of smoke coming out of the oil filler when you rev it? This sounds alot like when I blew my #7 cylinder. I also had some oily crap laying in the throttle body.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah we have both of those problems... could you be a little more specific on "when you blew your cylinder?" are you meaning you blew your rings or cracked a piston or cracked a cylinder or what? any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by W es 6; 01-15-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I had taken the car to a sponser here to do a leak down and compression test. Cylinders 5 and 7 were both dead. Most likely what happened were the the rings went out. We never found out because I got another block to put in it. I have the old block but haven't taken it apart yet. I'd do the compression test and see what you get.