General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Throttle sticks when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sticks when engine is running

My throttle seems to stick... but only when the engine is running. I've tried to simulate the conditions of the throttle sticking (foot/pedal position) when the car is off, but the cable moves freely with zero issues. As soon as I start the engine and go for a drive, the pedal/throttle will stick on occasion. Most of the time I can get it to release just by revving or goosing the throttle. I've inspected the TB and cable assemblies and nothing looks wrong. I can't simulate the sticking by actuating the throttle at the TB under the hood either.

What could be causing this? Why only when the engine is running? Could it be something in the cruise control system?

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marksman
My throttle seems to stick... but only when the engine is running. I've tried to simulate the conditions of the throttle sticking (foot/pedal position) when the car is off, but the cable moves freely with zero issues. As soon as I start the engine and go for a drive, the pedal/throttle will stick on occasion. Most of the time I can get it to release just by revving or goosing the throttle. I've inspected the TB and cable assemblies and nothing looks wrong. I can't simulate the sticking by actuating the throttle at the TB under the hood either.

What could be causing this? Why only when the engine is running? Could it be something in the cruise control system?

Thanks for any ideas!
Pull the cruise control fuses, see if it still does it.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a shot. Thanks