General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do I have a vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a vacuum leak?

My idle has been acting a little funny. It tends to go up about 100-150rpms as the engine becomes warm. Additionally, when I'm in 4th and I hit the throttle hard, it sounds like I'm getting some pinging. And lastly, when the car is warm and I shut down the engine and then restart it, my idle will sometimes rythmicly surge by about 50 rpms. It used to do it up to almost a hundred rpms, but it has stopped reving as much and the frequency of occurances has gone down. My mods are: lid, bauer tb, and a cutout. This happens whether or not the cutout is capped. I have Atap on it's way to help me diagnose the issue, but I'm kinda impatient . I had recently resent my PCM to clear a code (forgot to hook up IAT sensor). Would this account for the behavior?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Do I have a vacuum leak?

You can spray WD40 or something simular around the intake. If the RPM's raise, you have a leak.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

WD-40 will work, but carb cleaner is better, also, check around the MAF to see if there is maybe a leak up there AFTER the MAF.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Launching!

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to blow myself up am I?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Teching In

No you wont blow your self up. I was just wondering if the IAT was unplugged while this was going on, or? I didn't understand the last part of your piece.