General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Solid Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Motor Mounts?

Anyone have any thoughts of using solid motor mounts on a daily driver? Good bad? I know it would probably be a much rougher ride and have a lot of body vibrations. Thoughts suggestions?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Complete waste of time and money. They offer absolutely nothing by way of increased performance...but they do offer trouble. Noise, rougher ride, and fibration issues. Probably causes unnecassary stress to the tranny and engine too because the factory mounts offer a little more "give" like their supposed to. A street car needs to stay with factory original parts as far as motor and trans mounts go, and alot of other things that people try to improve on and can't.

I'm going on 7 years with my 427ci, factory trans and motor mounts are perfect still and they are 11 years old.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My solids have never given me "trouble". Give me a break . My ride isn't any "rougher", I don't have any noise, and have very minimal vibrations under 1000 rpms and none above that. People that say this have never been in a car with solid motor mounts and think they know what they're talking about.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
My solids have never given me "trouble". Give me a break . My ride isn't any "rougher", I don't have any noise, and have very minimal vibrations under 1000 rpms and none above that. People that say this have never been in a car with solid motor mounts and think they know what they're talking about.
Not all cars have every bad thing that solid mounts can give. You're lucky, you just have vibration. Who wants that crap in a daily driven street car I have friends that said they suck *** 100%, and got rid of them. Some friends that live with the problems. Some friends that like the shitty ride, noise and vibrations....to each his own. But the one thing that is a fact for all solid mount users, You get absolutely nothing positive from them...for a STREET DRIVEN daily driver. Nothing!!!!!!

A road race car that needs every single edge possible to compete, yes, get them, maybe you'll knock off that .10 of a second on a 1/2 mile long road course. But if you don't have an awesome modded suspension anyway, whats the point.

Its kind of like getting a K&N air filter so you can edge out the competition.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know about all of that.I put mine in and didn't really notice anything except the engine now sets still and doesn't rock with the cam.The engine is now part of the frame so the car up front is more solid and when I get on it the engine doesn't try to turn itself over so I'm happy.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not all cars have every bad thing that solid mounts can give. You're lucky, you just have vibration. Who wants that crap in a daily driven street car I have friends that said they suck *** 100%, and got rid of them. Some friends that live with the problems. Some friends that like the shitty ride, noise and vibrations....to each his own. But the one thing that is a fact for all solid mount users, You get absolutely nothing positive from them...for a STREET DRIVEN daily driver. Nothing!!!!!!

A road race car that needs every single edge possible to compete, yes, get them, maybe you'll knock off that .10 of a second on a 1/2 mile long road course. But if you don't have an awesome modded suspension anyway, whats the point.

Its kind of like getting a K&N air filter so you can edge out the competition.
most cars have issues with their y-pipe hitting the floorboard with factory mounts. i'm not saying poly's wont fix that just as well, but i think your statement that factory mounts are the best for a DD is wrong. (i meant to quote your first post)
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dutinsss
most cars have issues with their y-pipe hitting the floorboard with factory mounts. i'm not saying poly's wont fix that just as well, but i think your statement that factory mounts are the best for a DD is wrong. (i meant to quote your first post)
But thats the whole point...for a daily driver, regular street car, you're not gonna beat what GM engineers design for cars. Poly stuff is really for road race stuff. YOu want that little bit of give in mounts to absorb energy for a better ride.

But like I said, to each his own. I know guys that hate them and guys that like them.

But for the OP..my opinion is why waste the money on something that will give you zero performance increase, the possibility of multiple problems and not last as long.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

they are more of a hassle free motor mount you wont have to worry about them splitting or anything like that lol its just ment to have no give and have a direct transfer of power under heavy loads such as racing. where as you get twist with a stock style its ment for racing and unless you have a insane beast under the hood i dont see the need for them except to say " i have solid motor mounts so there" you line up two exact cars like yours one with stock motor mounts and one with the solid style i dont see that you could differentate a sure better car...except for reliability. now have two cars bult to the max and do it again id say the motor mounts might come into play..but for your situation it comes down to what you want for your car man. if you got your heart set on it do it bro it wont hurt to have a little more reliability
Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

My motor and trans mounts are original...11 years old. They're fine. 7 years on a 427ci, street use.

Thats pretty darn reliable.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Launching!

damn...didnt mean to hit a nerve with people, i was just asking because of exhaust clearance issues starting off in first and letting the motor rev down in gear causing resonation in the car. I was assuming it was due to the motor mounts shifting the headers into the k-member. Ill try the polys first. I asked because someone on ebay has a set of spohn solids for 75 bucks.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oberth1
damn...didnt mean to hit a nerve with people, i was just asking because of exhaust clearance issues starting off in first and letting the motor rev down in gear causing resonation in the car. I was assuming it was due to the motor mounts shifting the headers into the k-member. Ill try the polys first. I asked because someone on ebay has a set of spohn solids for 75 bucks.
Opinions vary. Just know that you may be one of the unlucky people that have all kinds of problems with them. And they offer nothing by way of performance, FOR A STREET CAR, so...........your call.

Like ls1whip said...there's nothing you can possibly do on the street where poly mounts will make 1 tiny bit of difference to any car.