General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

check engine light help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default check engine light help!!

I have had this check engine light for the longest, I cant seem to get rid of it...it would come on for a few days and turn off on its own, its been on for over a month now and I has not come off I plugged in the troubleshooting scanner and it throws PO442 code: it says (EVAP)Evaporative Emission System small leak/no flow condition

probable causes listed:

1. defective or loose fuel cap (checked)

2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected (checked)

3. purge or vent solenoid defective (checked)

4. vacuum leak at engine (checked)

I dont know what else to check, anyone ran into this type of problem before, please let me know....unless this can be tuned out, I dont know what to do.....
Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine had that code a few years ago, new gas cap didn't work. Ended up taking it to a shop and they pressurized the EVAP system with smoke to find the leak.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Yea I tried the smoke machine also at local performance shop but didn't see any leaks they told me at a shop they could find it but it was going to cost me 85 dollars an hour for testing until they find the problem, I ain't got that kind of cas lying around, I would rather spend money on an upgrade or something
Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I literally just got my car back from the shop for this exact problem. Mine ended up being the canister, however, the canister wasn't in the same spot that everyone says it is. Mine was on top of my gas tank, so short of dropping the gas tank or cutting the top of your trunk off there's no other way to get to it. Anyway it ended up costing me 600 bucks to get it fixed. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked every hose and fitting that involves the EVAP and fuel systems? As you've noticed '442 is a hard one to find. On my '98 Mustang I lucked out and noticed that the gasket that seals the fuel filler tube to the tank was rotted out. Like I said, check every hose, fitting and whatnot involved in the EVAP and fuel systems...
Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Ill try checking those couple of things out.....Thanks guys!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

i got the same problem....but intake bases....some stinking hose is loose or leaky (air forced in and out) according to my mechanic...he said it isnt worth fixing...

Quick Reply: check engine light help!!