General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water under oil cap...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question water under oil cap...?

hey guys so i changed my oil the other day and the oil was perfectly fine. it looked just like used oil.....so i went to go pour in the new oil and when i opened the oil cap i noticed water under it and on the bottom of the cap the oil was like peanut butter and then today i noticed water again under my oil cap....anything to worry about????? The engine kind of studered when start up too.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Sounds like a head gasket.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That gunk on the oil cap is supposed to be built-up moisture from inside of the engine that hasn't been properly burned off, such as if the car hasn't been driven far enough for example. I can't find the words to explain it right now, but if your coolant level is o.k. then I wouldn't worry about it. Do a search on oil-cap residue and you'll find that alot of cars have this happen to them as well...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go for a drive for about 30 minutes. Then check your oil cap. That crap shouldn't be there when you check.

You're all good if its not there.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i do a lot of small driving, like 5 miles here and there, and i have the same problem.. its because the engine isnt getting warm enough to burn the condensation out

if your oil came out perfectly fine, im willing to bet everything is ok
Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

aaahhhhaaa i see i was wondering about this a couple of weeks ago. mine had the same thing, but my coolant is fine, so i didnt worry about it.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1nut377
aaahhhhaaa i see i was wondering about this a couple of weeks ago. mine had the same thing, but my coolant is fine, so i didnt worry about it.
yup, as long as the coolant looks good, you should be fine

i actually discovered this when i put some oil in my car on wednesday, i got pretty scared, but my coolant looks fine
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Launching!

This is the reason why I love this site. Thanks alot guys.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vrtch ss
Sounds like a head gasket.
Yeah i be that's it...
Look guy, you hardly know what you are talking about.. I too just canged my oil this evening and had the same "condensation" under my oil cap.. It happens as weather changes.. Here in TX it has been 80deg one day and 20deg the next.. Your car is fine buddy...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by myk
That gunk on the oil cap is supposed to be built-up moisture from inside of the engine that hasn't been properly burned off, such as if the car hasn't been driven far enough for example. I can't find the words to explain it right now, but if your coolant level is o.k. then I wouldn't worry about it. Do a search on oil-cap residue and you'll find that alot of cars have this happen to them as well...
What he said, no big deal.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6427
Go for a drive for about 30 minutes. Then check your oil cap. That crap shouldn't be there when you check.

You're all good if its not there.
Thats what I'd do, don't even wipe it off. It's the weather causing the condensation. If you had a catch can you'd see it there too.

I almost didn't get a sale on a rare 1966 big block because of this, then I ran it up to temp and it disappeared. The buyer was a big name SB2 builder and the first thing he said was head gaskets, he suggested running it up to temp, if it stays it's coolant leaking into the oil somewhere, if it goes away it's condensation from the weather or even from not running it in a while.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Although this could be caused by the weather, it would still be best to pressure test the system for leaks. Just because you don't notice a leak doesn't mean that there isn't one. Look for the oil to change color generally to a milky white or oil to be on top of the coolant when you check it in the morning. Play it safe and look into it a little more. It could be nothing, but if it's not, you want to find out as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: water under oil cap...?