General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

93 Firebird wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 93 Firebird wont start

Dont know where exactly to post this as I dont see any where on this site for V6. I have a 93 with the 3.4 and a manual tranny. It has spark and its getting fuel and air but it wont start. It will sputter and backfire and act like it wants to start but it will only last for a couple of rough seconds before it dies. I replaced the cam sensor because it looked pretty bad but thats all that I have done so far. The firing order is correct per the GM service manuals. It acts like the timing is off or the wires are in the wrong order but I have triple checked the wires and I still dont get anything. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of thoughts. 1st, you say it has fuel, but is the pressure ok at the test port?

2nd, maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth.

V6 specific tech here:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old 03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a SES light? Those codes are cryptic, but they get you headed in the right direction.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check fuel pressure and the pressure regulator. My 3.8 was having the hardest time starting, it would catch sputter and die a lot and take several tries to get started. My regulator was bad so it wasn't keeping pressure up when the car was off and it was also allowing fuel into the vacuum lines, choking up the motor.