General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle, clunk - front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattle, clunk - front suspension

I own a 99 Canadian Firehawk and it only has 18000 miles on it and I just took the car out of storage from the winter. I have done some research on this topic, however, it seems to be confusing to me, as I am more of a newbie than anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I notice the noise more from the drivers side front and passenger side front, when I go over any bumps in the road, speed bumps, etc at low speeds. It doesnt make any noise at 45 mph but it does it at random times with speeds under that. When I purchased the car it didn't make any noise and that was in Augest. I stored the car, took someones advice and put the car on stands (used correct lift points) and now I know that lifting the car probably wasn't a good idea because its not good for the suspension to be unsprung etc. However, now that the damage is done (well I hope not too much.) I want to know what I can do and what to look for when I put the car on a hoist. Please explain in plain english, as I am learning everyday

I have read on other posts like greeseing the LCA's? To just going to the car wash and using a high pressure hose on the suspension system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating, and it may be my own doing because I raised on the over the winter. Since I don't have a lift, any suggestions that I can mention to my mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there a chance that I may require new springs or shocks?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

it kind of sounds like your front struts but it is probably gonna be a hit and miss struggle. one tale tell thing is get out of ur car when parked and push down on the front of ur car and see how it bounces and if it makes any noises. do the same to the rear. also check your sway bar bushing and tie end rods and ball joints. check for cracks in the bushings and balljoints. give all of ur grease fittings a good greasing. but like i said it will be hit and miss on this problem. just for starters i would check all these that i mentioned here so ur not paying a mechanic to look at em unless you just dont no what ur looking at. good luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your help!

Jason