General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeaky pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default squeaky pulley...

Sooo I have a really squeaky super obnoxious pulley on my car that I'm trying to track down.

I've already replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley and pulled the belt off the A/C pulleys to narrow down the possibilities....

So at this point its one of 3 things

Waterpump
Alternator
Power steering pump

I think its probably the water pump but I can't tell. The car does have 103k miles on it and have never replaced the water pump.

Any suggestions on what it probably is before I drop $200 into a new water pump?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To track my squeaky pulley down I ran the car and sprayed each pulley with belt dressing/lubricant 1 at a time. When I hit a certain pulley and the squeak went away, I had it. After a few seconds the squeak would return and I'd spray it again and it went away again confirming that it was that pulley. I replaced that one.

Of course mine was the a/c pulley. I don't know if it'll work with the water pump pulley, but it should with the alternator and power steering.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe the squeak is a tired belt.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Its def. not the belt, I replaced it last year when the idler pulley started squeaking. I'll try the belt dressing idea. No matter what it is its going to be an expensive fix but I'd rather get the right one the first time.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Get one of those mechanics stethoscopes. Set it near the pulley you should be able to tell.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

You've replaced both belts right? My squeak was an AC belt that I was overlooking.

If you have, then Post #2 is the way to go, or use a stethoscope or even a metal rod with one end on the pulley and your ear to the other.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

try taking a bar of soap ( car running BE CAFEFULL PLEASE ) place the soap on the belt as its running if the noise goes away its the belt.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

soap idea works great but don't forget your gloves!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by supersick99z
soap idea works great but don't forget your gloves!
And wear some glasses or goggles, never know when something crazy could happen lol.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, I will try the soap, I'll be surprised if its the belt as its not that old. I sprayed some WD40 on the Power Steering pump pulley and it went away for a few minutes, but that could also be due to some of the oil splashing onto the belt. The AC belt has been removed completely to narrow down either the belt or the pulley. The Stethoscope doesn't really narrow it down too much either which I guess would make sense that it might be the belt then...

If it is the power steering pump, can just the pulley be replaced or does it have to be the entire pump?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate to say it, but I am gonna guess water pump. Mine is starting to squeak as well and all of the tensioners are new and the pulleys have been lubricated. We stuck a stethoscope on it and it is the water pump as far as we can tell. Mine has almost as many miles as yours too. Either way, if you figure it out post it up the fix. I believe you have to change the power steering pump if that is the problem because the pulley mounts onto the shaft. The squeak would come from the bearings on either the water or ps pumps.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a squeak or more of a rubbing sound? Mine was more of a rubbing sound and mine was the actual A/C compressor. Instead of replacing it since they are expensive I just removed the A/C from the car. Squeak went away and the car is lighter. Win Win situation.

Quick Reply: squeaky pulley...