General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help quick after seafoam!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
will it cause you to have to change the oil afterwards like seafoam does? i remember the first time i did it and that **** was black.

No, why? It doesn't go into the oil at all. Just through the intake, heads and cylinders, then out the exhaust. My oil was crystal clear after I did it. I guess if you had really bad rings alot would get into the crank case for sure though.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess i was thinking about the How-to on here that says pour some into the crankcase.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
guess i was thinking about the How-to on here that says pour some into the crankcase.
That How-To really needs to be taken off the site. Its not a good idea.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427

+1

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

The whole thing is a bad idea or just some steps? I just did mine and it seems fine. Is there anything I should watch out for?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSX Performance
The whole thing is a bad idea or just some steps? I just did mine and it seems fine. Is there anything I should watch out for?
Its just not a good idea to use Sea Foam as a top end cleaner, its not made for that. There are products designed for that, like the Mopar Foam Top End Cleaner I posted on the first page. Just get that and be safe.

Liquid is not supposed to be poured into a cylinder. You can, in the worst case, lose the engine if it hydralocks.

But yes, if you just pour little sips of Sea Foam in, you'll be ok. But why not spray an entire bottle into the top end using proper stuff like the Mopar can.

IMO...the only place that Sea Foam should go is in the gas tank to keep the injectors clean. I've been doing that every 3-4 months for 11 years on my 1998 TA. Also, my fathers Dodge Hemi truck and mothers Dodge MiniVan gets the gas treatment.

If you want to flush your crankcase, use crankcase flush the same day you're doing your oil change. It will work 100 times better than Sea Foam will.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Its just not a good idea to use Sea Foam as a top end cleaner, its not made for that. There are products designed for that, like the Mopar Foam Top End Cleaner I posted on the first page. Just get that and be safe.

Liquid is not supposed to be poured into a cylinder. You can, in the worst case, lose the engine if it hydralocks.

But yes, if you just pour little sips of Sea Foam in, you'll be ok. But why not spray an entire bottle into the top end using proper stuff like the Mopar can.

IMO...the only place that Sea Foam should go is in the gas tank to keep the injectors clean. I've been doing that every 3-4 months for 11 years on my 1998 TA. Also, my fathers Dodge Hemi truck and mothers Dodge MiniVan gets the gas treatment.

If you want to flush your crankcase, use crankcase flush the same day you're doing your oil change. It will work 100 times better than Sea Foam will.
Do you have said links to this crankcase cleaner we should use? And also is there a special seafoam to use in the gas tank, and if now how much of the original **** do you use?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clg82
Do you have said links to this crankcase cleaner we should use? And also is there a special seafoam to use in the gas tank, and if now how much of the original **** do you use?
Every time I do an oil change, and I mean every time on every car I've owned in the past 20+ years.....gets 2 bottles of GUNK engine flush. I drain out about 2 quarts of the old oil, then add the 2 bottles and let the engine "idle" for 5-10 minutes. 3 1/3 quarts of the old remains during the flush. Don't just use the flush while its idling. Then drain all that crap out and fill with new oil and a filter. But any brand engine flush from the parts stores will do fine, most of them are about a quart.

As far as the gas tank goes, every 3-4 months I put an entire can of Sea Foam liquid into a half tank of gas to clean my lines and injectors. You'll see the bottle on the shelf, its the one that says injector cleaner. Don't get the transmission one. Then there's a spray type so you can clean things like the throttle body or linkages, etc...

Name:  seafoam.gif
Views: 3916
Size:  17.6 KB

Last edited by LS6427; 06-09-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Help quick after seafoam!!!!