General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how do i replace the turn signal switch??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do i replace the turn signal switch??

hey everyone trying to replace a turn signal switch on a 93 bird. the switch itself is broken inside causing the housing for the lever to come off and not being able to manually switch to the left just to the right if you force it. i searched and didnt find anything helpfull besides learning how to get the wheel off and lockplate which is necessary to get to the switch. i read on one of the post to take a pic of how it looks before removing so i know how everything goes when reinstalling. since mines allready broken does anyone have a pic of how it should look? and what procedure did you use to remove the switch and replace? thanks

John
Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

It is definately not an easy job, especially if you have never been inside a Saginaw steering column before. Your best bet may be buying a used column and swapping out the key cylinder. If you decide to replace the switch, the easiest way to do it is:

1. Remove air bag fuse and disconnect air bag connector at base of column (yellow harness and connectors)

2. Remove air bag, steering wheel and clock spring. The clock spring is held in with a snap ring, so you will need snap ring pliers.

3. As you pull the clock spring off the steering shaft, hold it firmly in your hand, being carefull not to turn it. Put a ziptie through the middle and tighten it down to lock the center and outer portions in place. ROTATING OF THE CLOCKSPRING WILL CAUSE DAMAGE AND WILL CAUSE AIRBAG AND STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS TO BE INOP.

4. Pull clockspring harness up far enough to get to the lock plate.

5. Using a lockplate tool, compress the lockplate and remove the lock ring from steering shaft. Two picks or small screw drivers are usually the best tools to use to remove the lock ring. Remove lock plate.

6. With lock plate removed, pull clock spring harness up through column. It may help to tie some string or wire to the end of the clock spring connector, so you can fish it through the column to get it back in.

7. Remove the horn contact hub (white piece with a steel contact on it) and the spring below it. At this time you should be able to see the turn signal switch.

8. Remove the turn signal stalk by pulling straight out firmly. You will swear you are going to break it but you won't. Do not pull it out too far or you may break the tiny wires that make up the cruise control harness if so equipped.

9.Remove the three screws in the turnsignal switch and the one screw that holds the hazard **** on.

10. Pull the turnsignal switch up over the steering shaft and pull the harness through using string or wire again to be able to fish the new wiring through.

11. Reverse procedure to install.

You may want to contact your local GM dealer and see if they can print out a copy of the breakdown of your column. This will help with parts locations and orientation.
Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you sir. Your a life saver. I think im going to give it a shot.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal. PM me if you get stuck.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94Firehawk161
It is definately not an easy job, especially if you have never been inside a Saginaw steering column before. Your best bet may be buying a used column and swapping out the key cylinder. If you decide to replace the switch, the easiest way to do it is:

1. Remove air bag fuse and disconnect air bag connector at base of column (yellow harness and connectors)

2. Remove air bag, steering wheel and clock spring. The clock spring is held in with a snap ring, so you will need snap ring pliers.

3. As you pull the clock spring off the steering shaft, hold it firmly in your hand, being carefull not to turn it. Put a ziptie through the middle and tighten it down to lock the center and outer portions in place. ROTATING OF THE CLOCKSPRING WILL CAUSE DAMAGE AND WILL CAUSE AIRBAG AND STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS TO BE INOP.

4. Pull clockspring harness up far enough to get to the lock plate.

5. Using a lockplate tool, compress the lockplate and remove the lock ring from steering shaft. Two picks or small screw drivers are usually the best tools to use to remove the lock ring. Remove lock plate.

6. With lock plate removed, pull clock spring harness up through column. It may help to tie some string or wire to the end of the clock spring connector, so you can fish it through the column to get it back in.

7. Remove the horn contact hub (white piece with a steel contact on it) and the spring below it. At this time you should be able to see the turn signal switch.

8. Remove the turn signal stalk by pulling straight out firmly. You will swear you are going to break it but you won't. Do not pull it out too far or you may break the tiny wires that make up the cruise control harness if so equipped.

9.Remove the three screws in the turnsignal switch and the one screw that holds the hazard **** on.

10. Pull the turnsignal switch up over the steering shaft and pull the harness through using string or wire again to be able to fish the new wiring through.

11. Reverse procedure to install.

You may want to contact your local GM dealer and see if they can print out a copy of the breakdown of your column. This will help with parts locations and orientation.
Good Luck!
hey man i see you know a few thinks about clock spring so here i have an other question, well i bought a 2001 stering wheel for my Z28 1999, now i need to change the clock spring for use radio controls ?

Quick Reply: how do i replace the turn signal switch??