General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C issues *Did a search*

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C issues *Did a search*

Last summer, my car sat for a few months without me starting it because I was TDY in another state. The next time I drove it, I noticed the A/C wasn't blowing cold air, but I wasn't too worried because the car isn't my daily driver and I wasn't going to screw with it at that time.

Fast forward to this summer, I start messing around with it to see what the problem is. The compressor engages, just no cold air. So I filled it with a can of refrigerant/dye to see if I could find any leaks. Well, the A/C blew cold but I couldn't find any leaks. The car then sat for another month or so without me driving it, so the next time I started it, no cold air.

So I buy another can of refrigerant/dye, put it in the system, and it blows cold. This time, I get under the car and see a couple drops of dye on the bottom compressor bolts, and what looks like old oil on the passenger side of the compressor.

So, the compressor works but possibly has a leak. I read in my search that there are a few hoses that may be leaking instead? I'm no A/C expert by any means, so I'm looking for help. If the leak IS coming from the compressor, do I have to get a new one even though it works? Can I reseal something or rebuild it? Anything else it could be? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If its leaking from the case I think you can just replace the seals without having to buy a new compressor.

It will blow cold as long as there's 134 in it, even if its leaking. It'll just blow cold till it gets low enough where the sensor won't turn the compressor on anymore.

I'd stop using it until you get it fixed because its probably low on lubricating oil.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a few pics I took a few minutes ago. The first ones show the oil drops and residue. I circled where I think the leak is coming from, as you can see small amounts of liquid in the seam.

I cleaned the compressor off, ran the car for about 5 minutes with the A/C on, and in the last pic you can see that it looks like new liquid is forming in that seam. This looks to be the origin of the leak. Anyone know if this is repairable or is it time for a new compressor?
Attached Thumbnails A/C issues *Did a search*-cooler-020.jpg   A/C issues *Did a search*-cooler-021.jpg   A/C issues *Did a search*-cooler-022.jpg   A/C issues *Did a search*-cooler-023.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like the case is leaking. You might be able to just get a seal kit, maybe not a new compressor. Any A/C shop can install it all.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

So has anyone tried resealing one of these?

Quick Reply: A/C issues *Did a search*