General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dead car/fading lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dead car/fading lights

When i went to start my car this morning it was completely dead.. nothing at all.. Like there was no battery in the car.. Then after 10 seconds it was fine.. But i noticed a grinding noise while cranking.. Like the starter or something.. It still starts up instantly and stuff but its just that grind.. A few mins ago i tried it again and it did it again.. was completely dead and it came back after 10 seconds and it grinded while cranking again. Whats up? the car started like 5 times a minute ago just fine.

Well then i was driving at night and i noticed that my headlights and my dash lights were fading in out.. If i press the brakes it would fade the lights and stuff. What is this indicating? According to the dash.. The battery is at 13 volts..
Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

had this problem once, seemed like everything was fine, but that was because the alternator was putting up just enough juice to cover up the dead battery until i hit the brakes then the lights would fade and the car would even sometimes die.. i couldn't figure it out, until i decided to just try a new battery, it seemed like it was a short across terminals inside the battery, or a dead cell, regardless you should just try getting a new battery and see if that fixes it!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I would try taking off your battery terminals and just cleaning them really good with a wire brush before buying a new battery there probably just corroded
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Turns out it was all thanks to a stripped + battery cable bolt.. 1.50 later it fixed every single problem.. I was waiting in line ready to buy an alternator and everything lol.

Quick Reply: dead car/fading lights