General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC gurus, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC gurus, please help.

I do not know much about the ac system but heres the situation.

ok so my ac clutch stopped kicking in last week. It turned out to be the relay. I replaced it and it worked for a week. Now it won't kick on and the relay is good. it just blows hot air, not heater its just hot outside.

I checked to make sure i had Freon and the guage on the bottle says that it has 100 psi. High? Its the bottle that has the refrigerant, sealant and oil. but i couldnt add anymore.

My bud checked the pressure on both the high and low sides and the low side pegged the needle....we let some out but it seemed like only oil came out of the low side. is that normal?

one thing I did notice before this happened was that it was leaking alot of fluid. and i mean alot, u could hear it sizzle on the passanger header and it would just drip water and leave a puddle about 5 inches wide...

any ideas? should I take it in to have an expert look at it?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having oil come out when you vent the system is normal, oil circulates freely throughout the system.

Putting gauges on the system without the compressor running won't tell you anything. With the compressor not engaged, pressures on the high and low sides will equalize, as you saw.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere that will need repair. If you don't know your way around an A/C system very well, you're probably money ahead to go to a shop.

I see that you're in Fresno...take it to the Clovis Garage (corner of Clovis & 3rd) in Clovis, they'll treat you right and do excellent work. I used to live there, and have dealt with them many times.